Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pre-Show Nervousness

11 hours to go.
Tomorrow I have to hurry to the hardware store first, to find the exact screws that I need to properly hang my prints in the gallery.
There are a few other odd details that need attention, too.
I'm afraid I'll forget something important, but I don't want to make yet another list.
An informal reception follows in the evening and I think some wine will soothe my jangled nerves.

Will anyone like my work?
Will anyone like my work enough to part with some cash?
Will it lead anywhere?

Who knows, who cares--I just want to get it up and running and enjoy myself a little.
And eavesdrop on people as they look at my pictures, since they'll be speaking their true feelings.

The show's theme rules-out much of my favorite work, but I kept on shooting and now have enough recent photos that make me happy.
Here is what's framed right now--I'm undecided on the playground photo but the others are beautiful prints that I truly believe in: Blue Star Show

Don't bother wishing me luck--I'll take skill and being prepared over luck any day.
And luck can't help me figure out what people like, so I want to thank everyone here for the feedback I have gotten on my photos in the past.
It has been very helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time.
Especially Matthew, who was the first photographer to seriously critique my pics and point out what I was doing right instead of just my mistakes. It's been less than three years but seems like more time than that has passed.
Thanks for giving me the confidence I needed to continue this fun and satisfying journey, M.

I wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight?
Good thing I have a lot of cold beer... Big Grin

The photos look good.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Don't bother wishing me luck--I'll take skill and being prepared over luck any day.
Robert Adams, in his essay "Colleagues", writes:

Quote:I have to admit that there is another reason I like photographers--they don't tempt me to envy. The profession is short on dignity: nearly everyone has fallen down, been the subject of condescension, been harassed by security guards, and dropped expensive equipment. Almost all photographers have incurred large expenses in the pursuit of tiny audiences, finding the wonder they'd hoped to share is something few want to receive. Nothing is so clarifying, for instance, as to stand through the opening of an exhibition to which only officials have come.
The same essay has one of my favourite photographic quotations just two sentences later: "Why quit while you're losing?"

I won't say good luck, but how about, "Enjoy!"

Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks.
"Why quit while you're losing" is a great sentiment.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Will anyone like my work?
Will anyone like my work enough to part with some cash?
Will it lead anywhere?
Yes
Hopefully
To fame fortune and groupies

I think I'm too late to offer any real insights or moderately useful comments. So, I hope it went well!

Hey Keith, hope it goes well! Judging from your work, I don't think there is anything to worry about, but do let us know how everything turns out... Big Grin

Dont be nervous - be excited. As with any form of photography there will always be people that love it and people that dont.
They look good as a group (on the flickr page)... I would love to see a shot of how they look on the wall!

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Thanks for asking!
Here's a quick snapshot I took while we were still setting up the show.

[Image: kak.gallery.jpg]

There are 9-10 other photogs showing with me in the same room, with all different styles.
Mine stand out because most are night shots (or look like them) and almost all have strong diagonal lines.
Our club's leader said that he thought mine were the finest and that if anyone sells anything it will be me.

I sold two prints today, so it's looking good.
One was "Waiting To Cross Over", the train/ghost photo. Not surprised--it gets a ton of attention everywhere. Dumb luck, that one.
The other was a beach sunset that can be seen here.

I'm exhausted but excited.
Tomorrow I will add titles to the display and just hang around the gallerys all day waiting for the press and city bigshots.
It's located in a favorite part of downtown, so I'll be shooting photos whenever I'm there this week and then doing night stuff after the show closes at 9pm--this has me excited as well, having a good extra excuse to be shooting downtown at night. Big Grin

They look great framed. You're right about lines and repetition.

Did you sign the images in any form?

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Break a leg, Keith!!

No, I never got as far as signing them or numbering them as time ran out on me.
It's something that I plan to address in the coming days.
The order wasn't really planned either.
I'll probably move them around to see if I can get a better flow tomorrow.

Thanks, Toad.
I have a history of falling off of ladders and down the stairs, and both hazards are present at this gallery.
Big Grin

Great job Keith , i am glad you have sold a few . And no surprise " Waiting to Cross Over " sold , i think its your best work , but all the photos you are showing are photos that i " envy " . Well done !

.... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

That is great that you sold some already Keith. Your work really is wonderful.

Canon stuff.

Very nice collection. The custom frames look like they were worth the work.

And congratulations on the sales, although it comes as no surprise.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks, everyone.
I've been Photoshopping, making cards and titles and shopping for hours already today--this is really time consuming but as I learn the tricks it gets easier.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by zeke
Mar 19, 2016, 09:58