Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OT: tragic electronics failure...

Okay, even I realize this is a whine, but I need to vent a little.

After my cameras and computers, I really enjoy good music and home theatre. And now my subwoofer's not working. I'm almost finished re-watching the six-disc extended Lord of the Rings series, and the picture's just not the same without it.

I have a "20-39 PC+" design by SVSound, which looks like a water heater wearing a tube sock. The 39 in the name is its height in inches, and the 20 is the hertz it can hit flat in a stock setup, although I have it tuned to run lower. This thing can shake the couch from ten feet away, dims the lights when there's a loud explosion, and sounds great for music. And now Frodo's got to finish his quest without it. (Wah.)

I do have to say that the people at SVS are awesome. My first e-mail was answered in under fifteen minutes, and it was answered by the more technical of the two founders. I got the same speed (and individual) when I first contacted them three-or-four-years ago with a question about choosing a subwoofer for a 10,000 cubic foot room. And when the first one I received had concealed shipping damage, not only did they quickly send me a replacement, they also refunded me all of the charges that UPS bills for crossing a border.

I've been happy enough with them that I've been browsing their new products during the e-mail exchange, just in case they don't extend the warranty. How's that for customer satisfaction?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I feel your pain Matthew - sounds like a great company though.

Canon stuff.

I am sorry to here about this Matt... I hope you get your subwoofer repaired soon... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks for understanding my pain. Big Grin

I corresponded with the co-founder until about 8:30 last night. My sub is a slightly older design that has a two-piece amp, and I'm only able to replace one part myself. Now I'm waiting to hear if the techs think the partial replacement will fix the problem. Otherwise I'd need to send it back to them, and this thing isn't small. And I still don't know if they'll be generous and extend their warranty period for me.

...secretly, I'm hoping that I can get it covered under warranty and add a few dollars to have it exchanged for one of their bigger ones, a 16-46. Rolleyes

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I hope you can make that exchange Matt... It would be a great deal for you... Smile

I have problems with music in my car, at the moment... I have a radio that doesn't work well (it has mp3 player that doesn't work) and I hate to listend only radio music, specially when you have so limited stations to choose from. Anyway, in Mexico, my brother showed me an ipod(?) he boutght in US and it is fantastic!! He uses it in the car and at home with some speakers, it has lots of songs... I thought about buying one of them. I don't mind to have an old car, but I do mind not to have good music... Sad The thing here is, that I don't know if I could fit one of those in my car, and how to do it.... I need to make some research to see...

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma,

You can buy the iPod and then get an fm transmitter with it. It just plugs into the iPod and transmits to the radio in your car. than you just listen to your iPod like it is a radio station in your car.

Canon stuff.

Yes Chris, that is the one my brother has. He said something like that about the radio station.... Smile

Thanks a lot!!... I'll look for one!! Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Aug 8, 2012, 04:53