appropriate directories on your hard drive. That is where DIM comes
in.

DIM only does one thing, but it does it well: it copies files from
your camera?s memory
card to a destination directory determined by your storage scheme. If
any directories need to be created in the process, it will create
them.

In addition, the file can be renamed while it is copied to a more
useful name than your camera might have provided.

DIM can be downloaded from: http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

Enjoy!

Alan,
Whilst I appreciate that the promotion of a free product is not exactly advertising, I do feel that you would have done better to;
A/ Get to know this site and it's inhabitants,
B/ Have the boss write on your behalf after seeking his permission.

Since it appears you did not do these things, your software may not recieve the attention it may deserve.

Rufus,
Moderator.

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:Alan,
Whilst I appreciate that the promotion of a free product is not exactly advertising, I do feel that you would have done better to;
A/ Get to know this site and it's inhabitants,
B/ Have the boss write on your behalf after seeking his permission.

Since it appears you did not do these things, your software may not recieve the attention it may deserve.

Rufus,
Moderator.

A. As far as "getting to know this site" goes, this is one of many photography sites I read often. I have not posted here before, but that does not mean I don't "Know" this site.

B. Why? What's the point of having unmoderated forums if I need "permission" from a "boss" who "writes on my behalf." That defeats the entire point of a forum!

It is an interesting looking package, certainly not something aimed at the amateur user from reading the manual.

StudioJ Wrote:It is an interesting looking package, certainly not something aimed at the amateur user from reading the manual.
It does have a lot of features that are targeted for professionals with particular requirements, but it's actually quite simple to use, and once you set it up with your particular preferences, it's a single button-click to run it.

Reminds me of Breeze's Downloader program. What's different (other than the price tag)?

Oh, and this IS a moderated forum. But you get a pass because you've got a wiki, and you're a famous music critic. ( Big Grin )

Hi Alan, welcome to Shuttertalk!

Thanks for posting regarding the software. What I guess Rufus is trying to point out is that -- there is a fine line between sharing an opinion about some useful software and "spam", especially since it's your first post and you're obviously affiliated in some way with the product.

Nevertheless, I'm flattered that you do visit our site on a regular basis... why not join our forums? We could do with a person like yourself! Smile

By the way, Alan... I've only briefly glanced through the manual, but can DIM do this?

Hey Alan - just read your user manual - I'm impressed. I have downloaded it and will give it a try over the next few days. If it works as well as it reads - you have a winner on your hands.

Nice work (hopefully)!!

Why? What's the point of having unmoderated forums if I need "permission" from a "boss" who "writes on my behalf." That defeats the entire point of a forum!

Alan.

I dont know you. I have no idea who you are, and equally you do not know who I am.

Since my ID clearly states "moderator" and I even signed my post as "moderator", I feel that reading before responding with "do what thou wilt" modernist nonsense would be in order.
Clearly ST and others welcome you. After your response to me, I'm afraid that I cant say the same. That's life I guess.

Cave canem

ruh roh Rufus has his hackles up!

I can see his point, despite this not being a spam promotion and something well suited to the users here it is polite when posting advertising material such as this to contact the administrator of the site.

Aside from that I downloaded DIM and I'm about to go test it Smile

Rufus Wrote:Why? What's the point of having unmoderated forums if I need "permission" from a "boss" who "writes on my behalf." That defeats the entire point of a forum!

Alan.

I dont know you. I have no idea who you are, and equally you do not know who I am.

Since my ID clearly states "moderator" and I even signed my post as "moderator", I feel that reading before responding with "do what thou wilt" modernist nonsense would be in order.
Clearly ST and others welcome you. After your response to me, I'm afraid that I cant say the same. That's life I guess.

I must have misread something. At the top of the page that I'm looking at right now, it says:

Shuttertalk Forums
Hey you! Yes you! If you're not a member of our forums, come and join us! We're looking for digital camera users, from beginners right through to enthusiasts. Feel free to post anything or ask any questions. We won't bite, we promise!

I guess I misunderstood the meanings of "feel free" and "post anything."

shuttertalk Wrote:By the way, Alan... I've only briefly glanced through the manual, but can DIM do this?

Yes, in fact that's exactly DIM's purpose.

You are determined to say anything but sorry, arent you?

Never mind. I wont obstruct you, since admin approves of you, nor do I wish to split hairs with you.

Cave canem

slejhamer Wrote:Reminds me of Breeze's Downloader program. What's different (other than the price tag)?

Oh, and this IS a moderated forum. But you get a pass because you've got a wiki, and you're a famous music critic. ( Big Grin )

It's somewhat more feature-rich than Breeze Downloader, plus as you said it is free. Plus it's completly cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, etc.)

I don't mean to nit-pick, but a forum that allows posting by anybody is not a moderated forum. If you want moderation, than the system should not allow anybody but the moderator to directly post.

P.S. I've posting the exact same announcement over the years to many other photography forurms (dpreview, popphoto, photosig, etc.) and this place has the distinction of providing me with the first negative response ever!

Rufus Wrote:You are determined to say anything but sorry, arent you?

Never mind. I wont obstruct you, since admin approves of you, nor do I wish to split hairs with you.

Ok, if it make you feel better, "I'm sorry"

(although, I'm not sure what I'm sorry for)

(.... kind of reminds me of taking to my wife....)

Alan, don't worry about Rufus, Biker dogs that play guitars and use cameras are a little weird. If you don't mind please register on the forum, we would love to have you aboard and see some of your pictures.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Ok, if it make you feel better, "I'm sorry"

(although, I'm not sure what I'm sorry for) Yep. Proves my point.

Cave canem

I'm sorry too Sad

I'm sorry as well.

Tongue

Anyone else?

Cave canem

The idea of a forum is to welcome people and to share their ideas (and their inventions if possible). As this was not a commercial offer - but merely an offer to share - I can't see what the fuss is about.

Cut the guy some slack, Ruf!

Alan Wrote:It's somewhat more feature-rich than Breeze Downloader

It seems very good, especially compared to the older version of Downloader, but specifically what makes it more feature-rich than D/L Pro? Just wondering.

Looking through the manual it seems VERY comparable, and for the price I'd have a hard time not recommending it.

I'm still sorry.

Cave canem

I didnt take my medication.

I was let out only on condition that I took it, and I forgot.
[Image: AVA.jpg]

Cave canem

slejhamer Wrote:
Alan Wrote:It's somewhat more feature-rich than Breeze Downloader

It seems very good, especially compared to the older version of Downloader, but specifically what makes it more feature-rich than D/L Pro? Just wondering.

Looking through the manual it seems VERY comparable, and for the price I'd have a hard time not recommending it.

They are very similar.
Besides price and cross-platform compatibility some of the main features that people tell me they like about my program (and that are absent from Breeze) are:

- Ability to delete files from the memory card after copying to the PC.
- Ability to automatically create a backup copy (usually on another drive) as the files are copied.
- Ability to have Client/Job and or Client/Job/Invoice #, etc. categorization.

There are a few others, but why don't you try it and find out firsthand.
P.S. I'm sure Breeze is a very nice product. It seems to be very popular and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I didn't write DIM to compete with Breeze. At the time I first wrote it (2001) I had very specific requirements and there was nothing on the market that worked exactly the way I needed it to.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by bridgette1967
Oct 31, 2018, 09:08