Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zoo shots

Some recent photos from the unphotogenic Toronto Zoo -- whose idea was it to go in the middle of January...? :/

junior:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1194889-Edit-wehi.jpg]

dude:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1194859-wehi.jpg]

dude, over here:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1194862-wehi.jpg]

what, another blonde hair? *
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1190594-wehi.jpg]

who else?
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1190529-wehi.jpg]

... I have to say that I found the zoo frustrating. I spent three hours in transit and twenty dollars to take long telephoto high-iso photos of bored and morose animals in an ugly environment, only to have them look like bland postcard photos if I was lucky, and superzoom-tourist snapshots for the rest. And the elephants weren't out, which was the main reason why I wanted to go.

But I'm planning on going back when the weather is better and more animals are in their outdoor enclosures. I have the start of a series that I like:

Gorilla:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1194908-wehi.jpg]

Jaguar:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1190571-wehi.jpg]

Sumatran Tiger
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1195103-wehi.jpg]

I have to say that out of the two sets of zoo photos, these are the ones that are "me".

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Of your animal shots, I like the second one, "Dude," best, his pose and expression. But I really like where you're going with your geometric abstract series.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Both styles totally work for me.
I think you did way better than my last zoo trip.

The "Behind bars" theme is appealing, definitely worth going for!

but I do like the first two shots too, especially the way you did them in b/w, there is nothing boring in them!
they "might could" need a bit more zing, to put it the South Carolinian way.... Smile

Uli

Nice series Matthew.

#1 is my favourite, love the expression and the light.

Of the "behind bars" #2 is most appealing to me, probebly cause it reveals a little more.

Nice work.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

aine-caitlin, thanks. I have a suspicion that the gorilla is actually a "dudette", but it just doesn't work as well.

Keith, thanks, but I had an advantage. Most of these were taken at 560mm-e and iso2000 or 3200. And it took 800+ exposures to get these.

Uli, definitely lacking "zing". In a couple of days I'll be able to compare my shots with a couple of others from the club -- there wasn't much to do, so we were shoulder-to-shoulder most of the time -- so I'll get to see what might have helped. Using the pop-up flash is what makes #2 work, and that's an idea that I got from one of the photographers I was with.

Paul, thanks, I like the light in #1 as well -- and worked hard with the dodge and burn tools to get it. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

"...560mm-e and iso2000 or 3200. And it took 800+ exposures..."

Maybe I did a whole lot better than I thought.
Out of 148 exposures I got 6 keepers, at 38-180mm-e and iso100-200.

I still prefer yours--they have personality and style, and the processing is very professional-looking.
Mine have a snapshot look with just a sprinkling of skill.

Thanks, and your keeper rate is just fine.

You know the saying about how it's not the camera, it's the photographer? Don't take it too seriously. I think I forgot to mention the sensor-shift IS (and occasionally the monopod) that let me get usable photos a couple of stops below my hand-holdable speeds. The closest that I came to traditional photography was the owl, which I shot with my E-1. 46 photos total, five of which got a single star rating (which means that they're in focus and reasonably well exposed) and only the one here got a two-star rating, which is a "good" photo. (iso1600, 400mm-e, f/3.5, 1/25, monopod.)

But next to one of the people that I was with, I was still a parvenu. He was using a Canon 5D, 600mm lens, and a 1.4 TC held on a gimbal-mount that was probably worth more than my camera. (He also needed a luggage cart to move his gear, instead of the micro trekker backpack that held my two assembled cameras.) We were shoulder-to-shoulder a couple of times, so I'm looking forward to seeing his results.

I forgot to post this one: of the 843 shots, this is the only one that I liked enough to give a three-star rating to. (E-3, iso3200, 283mm, f/5.6, 1/80)

rhino:
[Image: matthewpiers2008-1195187-Edit-wehi.jpg]

Very cool series. I like the sculptural look of the first couple of ape shots with the composition of #1 giving it the edge IMO. I also like the straight on shot of the bars (Jaguar) - and of course the wonderful textures of the rhino.

awsome rhino! great composure.
slightly too burnt out highlights on my screen... are you going to print any of these?

Uli

Toad, thanks.

Uli, I haven't printed any, but will probably check the histogram and print the rhino. I have an elephant photo from 2005 that's a similar style and printed very well, so it will be a set that I can hang on the wall. Once I have more of the "behind bars" (thanks for the name) I'll create a little series out of it. But the rest of them will just keep my Lightroom catalog company. I keep thinking that I should be printing more of my photos, but I rarely do it.

The elephant looks like an elephant should, ( I really will have to get new spectacles...for elephant read rhino)but the #1 gorilla, almost looks like a guy in a monkey suit or King Kong in the first movie (Fay Wray)
I think it's classic.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

The Rhino shot looks great to me - I can imagine it next to an elephant shot. Blonde hair is my favourite of the first animal shots and I like the leaf shot especially.

Canon stuff.

NT: Elephant, rhino... I really wanted an elephant, so I completely understand the confusion.

WS, the leaf was the one that started me on the bars theme. I just wish I had pursued it more thoroughly while I was there. And I can't watch animals grooming without thinking about the Far Side comic -- "Well, well... Another blond hair...Conducting a little more 'Research' with that Jane Goodall tramp?"

Here's the old Elephant photo that I'll be pairing the rhino with; I may have posted it before but can't remember. It got very good marks, but no ribbon, at my club's print clinic.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-0675-Edit-wehi.jpg]

edit: seeing them together for the first time here, they may actually be too similar. I might flip the rhino back the way he was originally facing, which would put his eye on the left side of the photo.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16
Last Post by Vanisle John
Aug 17, 2016, 17:19