Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A rope

I worked my composition here with the idea of a still life with this scene I found in the seaside. I gave the colors in post prossesing as it was a bit too pale.

[Image: IMG_4093-Edit.jpg]

Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I am not too sure... I like the contrast between the yellow weeds and the cool blue sands, but somehow find it a bit lackluster alltogether (sorry! ).
What I probably like most is the look of the wood at the base of the rope.
I tried to crop you picture to move this part into focus without losing the yellow and blue, but so far couldn't find
what I wanted....

I don't want to take over your thread, this picture just somehow reminded me of one I took at a beach one day
(in Hongkong by the way), I liked the color at the time, but then could never figure out what to do with the picture.... I think sometimes you just get those.

[Image: 53_beach1.jpg]

Greetings, Uli

The picture was a natural black and white almost. I did some post processing to bring the colors out, and I like so many things in this picture. I like the wood, but I also like to see how tense the rope comes out from the corner and then rests carelessly. I like to see that it was not something I manipulate or arranged, but it was like this and I framed it and composed what was there.

Yours is kind of abstract, isn't it? I am still not good at abstracts...

Thanks Uli for your comment Smile

Paul Cezanne

I know what you mean. My picture really has not much to do with yours...

Now I tried a square crop of yours. I hope you don't feel insulted by me messing with your picture,
I am just trying to somehow "intensify" or concentrate it....

[Image: Irma%20beach_cr.jpg]

Greetings, Uli

Nope.(IMO)..I feel the crop constrains the "movement" here: actually I like the feel of your shot Irma: a balanced and relaxed composition that is as much about mood as content. The colours complement each other and are again balanced. Yes, this photo grows on me.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:the crop constrains the "movement"
true too. reconsidering....

Uli

Uli, I can see that what caught your eye was the wood... Wink

Thanks and I appreciate your comment, because it makes me think and consider carefully why I really took this picture. I know it not an easy image. There is not story behind, there is not much information.... Could it be that the colors are distracting to you?

[Image: 59_IMG_4093-Edit.jpg]

I worked the same picture in bw, but I have to admit I didn't think of this picture in bw, as I did with the poles picture.

In this picture I immediately imagined the scene in bw, and I worked my composition more in terms of light, shadow and lines.

[Image: IMG_4017-Edit.jpg]

Zig, Thanks so much for your comment. I appreciate your thoughts about my picture... Smile

Paul Cezanne

aah, this second one is an "easier" one, one I can like immediately. It works well in black and white.
but I think I will go with Zig and let your rope grow on me a bit!

Uli

I agree, that's a lovely mono scene.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I think your rope in the first shot is abstract. As you say it does not say anything, but it would look absolutely divine in a 40 /50 cm wide frame with a few more, on a nautical theme. Maybe a yacht, lighthouse or seashells all with themed colours.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Nice composition Irma, my favourite is the second image though.

Love the framing and the light. Good job.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rufus
Jan 9, 2005, 06:49