Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bad Segeberg (panorama)

We went today to this beautiful city and when I saw the landscape I thought I had to try a pano... Wink

Thanks so much to Zig for the tips he just gave in a recent post about how to take picture for a pano....

I took 25 images, unfortunatelly I didn't follow the rows so well so my final image was like bitten all around, so I had to crop a lot. Still to be the first one I am very happy... Smile

Manual mode, 70mm, f/10, no filter on it, hand held.
Stitch in CS3.
They are three rows. So I stitched first the rows, I converted the result images to tif, flatten and then stitched the three rows to get the final result. I think if you click in the image you can see it a bit larger.

[Image: badsegeberg123.jpg]

Detail.

[Image: 85_badsegeberg123.jpg]

Any comment or advice is very welcome... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

You will be joining google earth next. Big Grin
A nice pano of a nice piece of countryside. Reminds me of Holland.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great pano Irma!

You can actually make out who it is infront of that building!

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Thanks for your comment NT, Paul... Smile

It is the first time I visit this city, we always drive through. Actually I wanted to go to the lake, but this landscape took our attention. The lake looks great possibly for a second visit then... There is a night house also with bats, but they don't let you take pictures as they have copy righted material in the walls and they want to sell their own pictures, so... we didn't visit the place.

I am really happy with the pano and I want to make more, now I just need to find the landscape.... Wink

Paul,
I found very nice details as people walking in the streets behind, and flowers in the windows.

It is indeed a huge file and the problem I had was that PS didn't have enough memory to resize, and LR said it was a big file... I just could resize it to web with Lr 2 beta. I had no problem importing the file and rezising it there.

Paul Cezanne

I like your panorama Irma, the lines are very pleasing
what an achievement! like a jigsaw puzzle, isn't it? (I have never done a pano)

Uli

The standout feture for me is that way that blue hotel jogs the eye against the sandy brown village and the green of the place. It clearly doesn't fit in there and is colored to stand out. It adds a great dynamic to the pano. I really admire how hard you work on these photographs Irma. You have acuired some great skills.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I completely agree with Don here. The blue building is such a strong focal point, sits well in the composition and ties in with the sky. You've done really well to avoid any stitch-marks in the sky particularly.
Irma, I realise that when the control points are mapped, the composition becomes a bit of a "hit or miss" affair: you've avoided this by being sure to include those strong features of interest like the blue building.
This must have taken some time: I learned to try and restrict my panos and mosiacs to no more than 15 single pictures, as I was getting half-gigabyte files and steam was coming out of the computer Big Grin
I've just realised something else that makes this very strong: the complementary colours of the blue building and the "opposite" colour of yellow in the distant oilseed rape field: it really ties it all together.
Did you layer in a blue grad in the sky too? Your sky is really well done.
I'm a little distracted by the white building on the left horizon and personally might have cropped this...but this is really good, Irma, and I'm sure you're very pleased with it indeed. It's got a lot of "movement" with the lines leading the eye in.
Yes, I understand the strong desire to do more: it's very addictive, isn't it! You never quite know exactly how it's going to turn out at the end because of the way the software works out its projections.
Really well-exposed too: well-metered, that lady!
I also think the focal length is good too: lots of detail; I found that wide-angles never quite work well, as there is so much distortion that the edges never quite meet. If you have a look at the Max Lyons website, you'll see that many of the people have used longer telephoto lengths in much larger images: I always return to 50mm at around f8 for maximum sharpness...thus the f11 you have is about perfect really.
A spectacular example Irma!! Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Uli, Thanks... Smile
you should try to make one. It is a lot of fun, and so easy in CS3.

Don, Thanks... Smile
I like the blue spot. Actually I had to desaturate it a bit. It was the only mask the pano.

Zig. Thanks ... Smile
I wanted to include the white building as I saw it as a very important part of the pano. Unfortunately, with the crop, it turned out too much in the corner. This is something I have to work next time and give a bit more room in the edges considering the corp.

I also had a bit of problems with the capacity of my computer. The first two rows were made out of 7 images, the last one with 11and the result of these rows was also half gigabyte file. The final image is not that large though, 14048 px wide by 4436px high, 178.3M

The only post processing after stitching and merging was a bit of working with colors in lab color and unsharp mask for local contrast enhancement. I am a bit angry because I lost a lot of the beautiful cloudy sky. I didn't use any gradient here.

After you comment I am thinking that probably my 85mm lens might be a good option for this kind of pictures. I want to take another one to see which lens works best... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Also such a nice straight horizon line! Colin would be pleased.

Toad Wrote:Also such a nice straight horizon line! Colin would be pleased.
I wish he could see it... I miss him a lot...

I have to say that the straight horizon in my pictures has been Colin, G and your school... You all taught me to care for this detail.

Thanks Toad for your comment Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 18, 2017, 16:52
Last Post by nia
Jul 10, 2009, 05:06