Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #73: Birds

Maybe we're all getting a little carried away with this. Admittedly a few birds did act strange, but that's no reason to...
- Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds

In the wild or in the city, birds are plentiful and provide a popular subject for photographers. Presenting plenty of colour and variety, spotting and identifying them is a hobby in itself. For this assignment, let's look at the challenges involved in photographing these flighty creatures.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

A galah behind bars.

[Image: caged469x700.jpg]

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Sometimes I feel like bird shooting is like fishing... One day you get lots of good ones and one day it just doesn't happend, because there are no birds or the light fails. Well, I've actually never been fishing but .... somehow I related both activities.

We had nice weather few days ago and I gave it a try to my birds in the front garden. I started behind the window and I ended up parking my car directly to the feeders and shooting from there. It was much easier and I got better pictures.

I haven't got the time to post process all my pictures but here is what I have so far.

With the morning light from the window.

[Image: IMG_5958-Edit-2.jpg]

later the same day... from the car.

[Image: IMG_6144-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6156-Edit.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

RP, I like the 'behind bars' theme. The way the bird's looking away means that there's no escape for the viewer, either -- we have to see the cage.

Irma, all three are really nice, but the combination of colours in #2 really stands out for me.

I've recently started working in the very centre of the tourist / retail part of the city, where the birds often look like this:

[Image: 277941350_wgoU8-L.jpg]

...so I'm going out later today to see if I can find anything prettier.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I managed to get a few photos of birds from today's outing. I have no idea what these ones are, since they're not gulls or pigeons:

[Image: 279073565_fjnQr-L.jpg]

[Image: 279073464_nxMsW-L.jpg]

Goose chase:

[Image: 279073293_fYKUq-L.jpg]

Another goose chase:

[Image: 279073378_v2QoT-L.jpg]

What kind of bird is that last one? I don't recognise it Tongue

My Flickr page

[Image: Snowy-Egret-(Yelapa)-copy-c.jpg]

Thought I would throw this one in, I took this in Yelapa, Mexico. (about 40 mins south of Puerto Vallartaby boat)
I have not had much luck with wild life photos and was fairly pleased with this one, as the Egret had quite the speed on him running in and out of the surf. Please let me know what you thnk - thanks!!

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." – Ogden Nash

Matthew.
Great picture of urban bird, your first one. I like it a lot. It looks to me like a bit oily...
I don't know much about the name of the birds but your second series looks great too. He/she looks like a real bird watcher.

Craig.
Very beautiful bird too. I find a bit overexposed but I understand well that with the bright and beautiful Mexican sun.... Wink it is a bit difficult to keep your exposure right, isn't it?
Did you take a tour by boat from Puerto Vallarta? When I was there, I heard there was some kind of safari tours to the swamps to see alligators and some other animals.. First we would go by jeep and the by boat.

RP I forgot to comment on your picture.
I like very much pictures with dark background and the subject coming out from the darkness. The bird is lovely but what I like the most is the light in the cage.... lovely lines!! Smile
It looks to me like a lightroom post process here??

Paul Cezanne

Two more I got from my window.

[Image: IMG_5818-Edit.jpg]

I had a series of this woodpecker. I thought about a triptich so I could show more of the series.

[Image: IMG_5901-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

I like the triptych. I remember the first time I ever heard a woodpecker in Seattle. I'd always thought they'd be like "tap, tap, tap, tap", but instead they sound like machine guns!

My Flickr page

Thanks RP... Wink

I didn't know the woodpecker until I came to live here. It was so beautiful the first time I heard it. I didn't know what it was, and G showed me the bird. This is the first time I see it so close and my first good picture of him. I got another even closer but somehow the colors are not nice... really a pity ... Sad

Paul Cezanne

Woodpeckers are beautiful as long as they aren't hammering on your metal chimney pipe at 5am... Tongue

[Image: n634995401_2616673_2131.jpg]

[Image: n634995401_2616678_5431.jpg]

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

In my tree
[Image: 7_pigeon2s.jpg]

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1Peter 1:16

Bald Eagle, not so bald really.

[Image: baldE.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Taken July 16, 2008 just before sunrise - Port Aransas, Tex. Let me know what you think....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/t...oard01.jpg

[Image: Clipboard011.jpg]

A great catch with nice composition. The slight blur of the wings adds a realistic feeling of motion. The dramatic colour in the sky is a real bonus in this photo. Regards.....Dennis

Somehow I totally missed this thread the first time it went around. There are so many amazing shots here I can't pick a favorite. I love the variety. I also enjoy photographing birds, not that I'm any good at it, but it's a fun challenge. Here are some shots I've taken over the course of the last year.

[Image: 2686735221_3dc5cc5530.jpg?v=0]

[Image: 2686735239_3e82d19c72.jpg?v=0]

[Image: 2686735247_8ba928c44a.jpg?v=0]

[Image: 2686735263_3e6f43d509.jpg?v=0]

Oh yes, and I love these birds too....Canada's Snowbirds at the Millington, Tennessee Airshow

[Image: 2686735271_a826c6c2e7.jpg?v=0]

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26