Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How The USA Won Both Gold Medals In Beach Volleyball

[Image: kakbliss.NBparty04.jpg]
37% of our homes have volleyball courts out back.

Not really--but that thought occurred to me while my band was playing at this private party on Saturday night.

The real reason for this post: The very odd chromatic aberration.
Never seen anything quite like it before.
It was very humid, having just rained for days, but I don't have any other clues or evidence as to the reasons. In one month of shooting (1058 shots) it's only happened during this one series of the sand volleyball, and it's in all of them despite different zoom lengths and compositions.
(Auto WB, f 5, iso200, all shutter speeds).

Any ideas besides "It's your kit lens" ?

It's not CA so much as it's lens flare. Happens to most. See: http://photocritic.org/lens-flare/

And,

KeithAlanK Wrote:Any ideas besides "It's your kit lens" ?
That is part of it. Wink

Oh, and we do have a kids-size volleyball kit in our yard, too. Big Grin

That is odd, and it doesn't look like anything I've seen before. But I'm with slej on this and think that it just looks like a particularly groovy form of lens flare. Are you using a UV filter, aka one of those clear glass horrors that camera stores use to boost their margins? (I'm guessing that you aren't, which would be a good thing.)

KeithAlanK Wrote:37% of our homes have volleyball courts out back.
87% of lies are more believable when accompanied by statistics.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

It's a portal to an alternate dimension! Run!

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

Actually, I don't think it even was the 18-70mm kit lens--if I recall it was my 55-200mm.

UV filter?
Not in a million years, especially pointing towards bright lights at night.
I had one on my F717 for a few days, until I took a photo of a train on a cloudy day--ditch light flare cured me of that silliness.

42.35% of statistics are meaningless...Big Grin

It isn't all that bad--at least it looks intentional and maybe symbolic of....something.
More testing is in order.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Actually, I don't think it even was the 18-70mm kit lens--if I recall it was my 55-200mm.
"Kit" is a state of mind.

I've seen bad CA - I still own an F828, after all - and while this isn't good, at least it's rare.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The newest two-lens kit from Sony has a 70-300mm DT series at the same price I paid for the 55-200mm DT. I still think I prefer the one I have. It's been really good for shooting my bands--any longer focal length wouldn't make much sense for what I do.

The blue flare is kind of cool, but I'm still a little worried (but not a lot).
This was a worst-case scenario with a very bright light pointed directly at me.
Usually I don't shoot scenes constructed like this--preferring the lights to point towards my subject.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 1, 2017, 09:54