Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sale of image to web site?

Hi all.

I have received an email asking if I am interested in selling one of my images for a company to use as 'branding' on its web site.
My instinct was to be suspicious but I have checked their website and they are a reputable human resource / corporate services company within Australia.

They have requested to buy a 250 x 700 pixel version of this image:

[Image: 1080549-3-majestic-dominance.jpg]

http://www.redbubble.com/people/smarti77...-dominance

At this stage I have sent a reply asking if they wish to buy exclusive rights to the image (which would prevent me from selling or using it) or if they just want to buy permission to use it on their site.

I have also provided them with some samples of the image cropped to their required size and with their company logo...(all watermarked as samples).

No $$$ value has been mentioned and I am unsure about how much to ask (or expect them to offer)???
Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Shane

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Hey Shane,

First off, congrats!

As you have done, I'd probably clarify how they are going to use it, and stipulate your restrictions up front and be specific about them. i.e. how many times it can be used, where they are using it, etc.

If it was just for use on a web site, I'd probably pursue a stock photography model - maybe see what some of the premium sites are charging and how they word their terms of use. Some of them have different prices for exclusive or non-exclusive rights.

If it was for use in a worldwide, multimillion dollar ad campaign though, that might be a different story. Big Grin

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if negotiations are successful...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

congratulations

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Mining old threads, Don? smarti's topic is from 2008

The thread was helpfully revived by a new member who's no longer with us.

It is quite the photo.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 19, 2016, 07:59
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 24, 2014, 14:03