Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm a little sad...

I've always known that I get attached to things that I shouldn't, and keep things for 'sentimental' reasons that don't deserve or require any sentiment. But I'm actually sad that I've just sold a bunch of lenses. I got a decent price for them, haven't really used them, and have already replaced them with upgrades - this isn't seller's remorse or a loss of technical ability, I'm just sad to see them go.

My 11-22 in particular is one that I've always admired, knowing that it's a great little lens. It and the 50mm Macro lens (not sold) have always been my go-to pair for a small high-quality set that can do just about anything, and now that set is being broken up. Sure, it's going to a photographer who I know, and I know he'll really benefit from it, but I'm also sad that it's being separated from the 14-54 that I sold to someone in Florida. Physically the 11-22 and 14-54 are almost identical, and choosing one was often the reason why it took me a long time to get out the door. And now they won't be together any more.

It's like breaking up a really good marriage and banishing the brother-in-law all at the same time.

There's something seriously sad about this... and I think it's just me.

Last week I bought the Olympus 12-60, which makes the 11-22 and 14-54 redundant, even though the new lens isn't as good at the wide end. (That's what the 7-14 is for, and I have to admit that I almost always chose the 7-14 over the 11-22 unless the size or longer focal length really mattered.) I bought the 12-60 for the wider range and faster focusing: I was disappointed by the 14-54 when I needed to use it for family photos recently. I knew that this meant I'd need to clear out some of my unused lenses, and took the opportunity to sell off a couple of others as well. The others were an entry-level macro lens that's barely been used in a year, and an inexpensive 40-150 telephoto that hasn't been touched since I bought a faster 50-200mm lens.

These four lenses also happen to be the oldest that I own: the 14-54 was the 'kit' lens with my E-1, the macro and the tele were my second and third lenses (probably in that order) and the 11-22 was lens #4. Between them I've more than covered the cost of my newest addition, and have more space on the shelf.

Overall it's a good move, and there's still some more items to go: my E-510 camera and its kit lens, and maybe I'll list a couple of other lenses that I really don't think anyone will buy, and my old Sony F828 kit that could use a good home. But at least now I know why I've been holding on to things for so long.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I get first shot at the F828, right?

As a lens purchase neophyte I'm ill-qualified at offering opinions but as long as you can put glass in front of a sensor life is good?

I always struggle to let a lens go - they become natural extensions of your camera. I understand your feelings on this.

Canon stuff.

I still have every lense I have ever bought, apart from the kit lens that came on my film rebel.

I am considering getting rid of the sigma 50-500 in favor of something similar with IS.

Hey I so know what you mean - emotional attachment.

I grew quite attached to the 18-70 with my D50 - now that I've got a D80 and 18-135, even though it's supposed to be superior, I find that I sometimes miss my old lens...

I never had time to grieve the Nikkor 18-55 and the Nikkor 55-300 when I found the Sigma 18-200.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the understanding - it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I also have to admit that the cash-in-hand part has really helped with the grieving process. I'm sure they'll be very happy in their new homes, I just needed to get over thinking of them as mine. It would be different if it was a genuine loss, but as Keith puts it, there's no shortage of glass to put in front of sensors here. If they were important to me, I would have been using them... (where does 'denial' fall in the stages of grieving? Big Grin)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

lol... glad I'm not the only one suffering this either.

I've got a bunch of things in my "things to sell" pile, but it's hard for me to actually put them up for sale for the same reasons as you Matthew.
As far as camera gear goes, I'll be selling my Canon 30D, Canon 17-85 IS, Canon 24-70L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28 f/1.8 and a bunch of old strobes.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:and a bunch of old strobes.
LOL - I think I know where they came from.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:
Kombisaurus Wrote:and a bunch of old strobes.
LOL - I think I know where they came from.
You guessed it Chris! haha.. There turned out to be TWENTY TWO strobes in that auction lot! It's not often you buy camera equipment by the washing basket. Big Grin

Five of them are missing parts (they obviously become doners to repair other strobes), but the remaining seventeen all appear fine!
I picked out four to keep for strobist stuff myself, but the others will go on ebay when I get around to it.

How's your water cooler? Big Grin

[Image: 454830812_CChPp-M.jpg][Image: 454830432_6HaF4-M.jpg]
[Image: 454830703_7aYMC-S.jpg][Image: 454830522_Vtyya-S.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Errr ok.... Big Grin

Challenge - try building a rig that will fire all 22 at once! Big Grin

Kombisaurus Wrote:lol... glad I'm not the only one suffering this either.

I've got a bunch of things in my "things to sell" pile, but it's hard for me to actually put them up for sale for the same reasons as you Matthew.
As far as camera gear goes, I'll be selling my Canon 30D, Canon 17-85 IS, Canon 24-70L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28 f/1.8 and a bunch of old strobes.
I know what you mean.

I'm a bag-a-holic. And I still don't have the right one!

Regards,
DaveL
Toronto