Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Candid Portraits From My Africa Trip

My family spent two months in Western Uganda to visit with our many sponsored children, and to oversee some of our ongoing charity projects that we have implemented in that country over the past few years. While we were there, I took many photos of the people we met, including many children who are orphaned as a result of the HIV/AIDS pandemic spreading across the continent. I hope these images will move you as much as they moved me. Below are eleven of my favorite shots from that trip:

(all were taken handheld with my Sony DSC-H7, in the remote Crater Lakes region of Western Uganda)

Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland
www.focusonnewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC02022b.jpg]

[Image: DSC02572a.jpg]

[Image: DSC01423b.jpg]

[Image: DSC02595.jpga750pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC02602_fhdr.jpg]

[Image: DSC02677b.jpg]

[Image: DSC01344portrait.jpg]

[Image: DSC02038a.jpg]

[Image: DSC02239b.jpg]

[Image: DSC02575b.jpg]

[Image: DSC02608b.jpg]

Wonderful work! Their faces are all so expressive - and you have captured very natural poses.

These are incredibly sharp and richly textured photos. I'm really impressed.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Excellent images.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Beautiful work - love the first shot especially.

Canon stuff.

A bit disturbing to see these children living in obvious and extreme poverty, but the photos are nevertheless excellent both emotionally and technically. I like the post processing work you've done, the colors and textures are very rich.

Lovely photos. I wil be in Rwanda and Tanzania in Jan/Feb next year. Hope I can get portraits like these.

Do they know they are living in obvious and extreme poverty.? None of them look underweight. Poverty in relation to the western civilisations, maybe, but in relation to mainland africa? Who knows.

I feel everyone on earth is either lucky or unlucky as to where you are born. This view also includes flora and fauna.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Maybe they are not starving but as you can see, kids in Africa often have to get by with very little and work hard from an early age, especially if they are orphans which they, unfortunately, often are.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post