Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Night Shots!

[Image: night1.jpg]

[Image: night4.jpg]

[Image: night6.jpg]

[Image: night9.jpg]

Tonight, we were at the Bosphorus again, and I tried to take my first night shot. It wasn't easy because I haven't tripod but I put my camera on somewhere then I took them. But yes, not well enough. I was so excited and I hope one day I can get the view of night at the Bosphorus. I took all these photos from Anatolian side, and it is the Bosphorus Bridge (the first built one)...

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Lovely photos - they worked very well indeed.

Toad Wrote:Lovely photos - they worked very well indeed.
Thank you Toad, how nice to hear this!!!!! I was so excited, do you know, I love everyday much more photography,
million thanks for you all, I found the power and inspiration with you all.

Have a nice day and shots,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Very nice Nia - love the third one the most.

Canon stuff.

A tripod is what you really need, but if there is a convenient flat surface to rest the camera upon that works too. I shoot at night very often and will use whatever I can find.

Keep in mind that camera exposure meters are designed for the daytime and don't give perfect results at night, although they are very helpful.

For my own artistic reasons with the cameras I have used over the last few years, I find that shooting in Manual mode at +0.7 EV is where I like my exposures at night.
If there are bright lights pointing into the lens I may go even higher.

The main thing for me is to choose when it's time to take the picture.
Immediately after the sun sets the sky is still too bright, but soon afterwards (10-30 minutes) conditions are often perfect.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Very nice Nia - love the third one the most.
Thank you so much, I am learning and I need to take more Smile

Have a nice day and nice shots,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

KeithAlanK Wrote:A tripod is what you really need, but if there is a convenient flat surface to rest the camera upon that works too. I shoot at night very often and will use whatever I can find.

Keep in mind that camera exposure meters are designed for the daytime and don't give perfect results at night, although they are very helpful.

For my own artistic reasons with the cameras I have used over the last few years, I find that shooting in Manual mode at +0.7 EV is where I like my exposures at night.
If there are bright lights pointing into the lens I may go even higher.

The main thing for me is to choose when it's time to take the picture.
Immediately after the sun sets the sky is still too bright, but soon afterwards (10-30 minutes) conditions are often perfect.
Dear Alan, I understand what you all mean. I need a tripod I understood this but about these photos (they were my first work about night), I found something and I put my camera on it. It wasn't easy for me and also there were so light around me where I stood. And after the sun sets the sky, especially when it is dark blue, even I love this time too, I will remember all what you told me, these are very important points. Thank you for all your helpful words, I'll listen to you.

Have a nice day and nice shots,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

I like the third one also. As you are beginning, I would say take many photo's in the same place, and change the camera settings for each one. Make a note of what they are, and remember to set everything back as it was when you have finished.

I set the camera for a flash photo, and forget to reset afterwards. Next day some awful pictures. Sad Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:I like the third one also. As you are beginning, I would say take many photo's in the same place, and change the camera settings for each one. Make a note of what they are, and remember to set everything back as it was when you have finished.

I set the camera for a flash photo, and forget to reset afterwards. Next day some awful pictures. Sad Big Grin
You are so nice thank you, actually I live what you mean, I forget what and how I did. But yes, I am learning. Today I was all day long out (from morning till late night) and I had a wonderful chance for photography. Because I took so many pictures, even night pictures too. But I should to organize them and then I will post. I know, I am not as you all, but I love to take pictures and to share with you. Especially today, during night photos I remember what KeithAlan said to me, without tripod it is so difficult but I found a flat for my camera BUT I was in the ferry boat Smile There was a little bit waves tonight... I know, probably you smile to me, I am crazzy one. But anyway, I enjoy. Especially in these days, photography fills my poetical spirit (I hope I can write a poem again, as if stopped! )

Thank you, you are all so nice,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Good stuff Nia, I'd love to go to your beautiful country once, before I die. There is so much to see and the culture is so rich.
Lovely night shots, but you really need a steady place to place your cam.

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Janika Wrote:Good stuff Nia, I'd love to go to your beautiful country once, before I die. There is so much to see and the culture is so rich.
Lovely night shots, but you really need a steady place to place your cam.
Thank you so much Janika, Istanbul, one of the inspirational cities in the world. I love my city, especially the Bosphorus and her historical and traditional places. I hope one day you have a journey to here. About my cam, yes, you are so nice too, thanks again, I need to learn, and also I need to practice more. I try to to improve it.

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Nia, here is a Night shooting quick tip, once you got your tripod, Place your camera on it, Turn the the dial to AV mode, Set your ISO to 100, Set your aperture to f/22, zoom and focus, and use the timer or remote and let your camera decide on the shutter speed. I am waiting for the results! Wink

Btw; I am originally Hungarian, so we are closer than you think! Wink* Hugs from Canada

Janika Wrote:Nia, here is a Night shooting quick tip, once you got your tripod, Place your camera on it, Turn the the dial to AV mode, Set your ISO to 100, Set your aperture to f/22, zoom and focus, and use the timer or remote and let your camera decide on the shutter speed. I am waiting for the results! Wink

Btw; I am originally Hungarian, so we are closer than you think! Wink* Hugs from Canada
I am so glad to meet again dear Janika. Yes, we are closer, historical we have a wonderful connection between our countries. You are so nice one, I noted your technical notes. And yes, I need tripod, I am impatient for this but not will be soon I am afraid. Greetings, hugs and love from here, nia

Ansel Adams

Ok Nia, One more thing if I may suggest, Try NOT to use your flash for these types of night shots!
If you don't have a tripod, you can get/buy or even make a bean bag and place your camera on that.
You will need a steady spot for long exposure shots.

Janika Wrote:Ok Nia, One more thing if I may suggest, Try NOT to use your flash for these types of night shots!
If you don't have a tripod, you can get/buy or even make a bean bag and place your camera on that.
You will need a steady spot for long exposure shots.
You are so nice by visiting again this. Thank you. I will remember your advises, still I don't have a tripod. I hope I can buy one soon. Actually I had a new night shots again at the port, at the Bosphorus but all I deleted I think, didn't get any comment or etc. Anyway, thank you so much again, means a lot for me.

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16
Last Post by GrahamS
Feb 10, 2017, 17:01