Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shooting ice sculptures at night

Exposure for shooting ice sculptures at night

Hi Bluenose,

Are you intending to use external lighting? If so, of what nature? There are various factors involved in deciding what exposure to use in photographing anything. Ice sculptures at night would certainly qualify as being one of the more demanding subjects out there. So please furnish us with a little more detail please, so that we might be in a stronger position to help.

Best regards.

Phil.

Thank you Phil.
I am going out tonight to try and get a few pictures of some impressive ice sculptures IO am not an experienced photographer Going out with my Rebel T3i and a tamron 18-270 f3.5 lens. I recently purchased a tamron 90mm f2.8. macro. Wondering which to use. I do not have external lighting. I will have to experiment with exposure.?

(Jan 27, 2014, 14:26)bluenose Wrote:  Thank you Phil.
I am going out tonight to try and get a few pictures of some impressive ice sculptures IO am not an experienced photographer Going out with my Rebel T3i and a tamron 18-270 f3.5 lens. I recently purchased a tamron 90mm f2.8. macro. Wondering which to use. I do not have external lighting. I will have to experiment with exposure.?

Hi Bluenose,

Short answer is yes, you'll have to experiment with exposure and included in that will be your ISO value. The higher the ISO the less light will be needed to capture an image. However, the downside is that it will also tend to produce more image noise as well.

Depending on the distance you are from the ice sculpture the 90mm Tamron might well be the better bet as it's a faster lens. I.E. It will 'open up' further to admit more light for any given shutter speed. However, please bare in mind that the more you open up the lens aperture the shallower will be the 'depth of field'. That is, the amount of the picture which is rendered 'sharp' from front to back.

Something else which would help would be to use a tripod, or any other form of rigid support for your camera. As the ice sculpture is unlikely to be moving, the use of a support will allow you to use a longer shutter speed and at the same time minimise the risk of 'camera shake' producing a blurred image.

I hope this helps you, and that I haven't gone into too much detail at this stage. I'm always willing to help out if I can, as are many others who frequent the forum. If there is anything else you need to know, just ask. If the reply you get is too technical for you at this stage, say so and I'll try to put things in a more digestible way for you. The last thing anyone here would want to do is 'blind you with science' and put you off photography.

Best of luck with the ice sculpture.

Best regards.

Phil.

Thank you Phil for the good advice. I do have a tripod and i will take it and the 90mm lens. Oh we did not go tonight as things turned up. will go tomorrow night we have until Feb. 2nd. will post a comment.
Best wishes
Pearl

(Jan 27, 2014, 21:50)bluenose Wrote:  Thank you Phil for the good advice. I do have a tripod and i will take it and the 90mm lens. Oh we did not go tonight as things turned up. will go tomorrow night we have until Feb. 2nd. will post a comment.
Best wishes
Pearl

OK Pearl,

Please let us know how you get on with your 'Ice Sculpture' project and please post some of the shots you take. I for one am fascinated to see the results.

Regards.

Phil.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I did go to try and shoot the ice sculptures last night. It was a cold night minus 20 with a wind but I feel that is not the excuse for the 'not so good' results. I feel the exposure is not correct. I took the 18-270 tamron lens
I am having trouble posting a picture Guess I don't know how?

Hi Pearl,

Here is a copy of Barbara's instructions for 'Posting more than one picture'. Virtually the same as posting one.

Best of luck. Still interested to see the ice sculpture results.

Oh, whatever you do, don't get too cold., both yourself, and take the usual precautions when taking your camera out in sub-zero temperatures.

Phil.

Barbara G. Offline
Adding More Than One Photo To A Post
Here is a thread on how to add more than one picture to a post here in the forums. Please keep in mind that there are times that viewers can get overwhelmed by too many pictures provided in a thread. One example would be posting eight photos in one thread for comments and suggestions for critique. In this case, I would suggest the limit to be one to three pictures for the original post. Any questions, please let me know.

Instructions:

I am creating a new thread and choose to add my first attachment. I scroll down to the attachments section of the thread. As shown below, you will see an option to browse your computer for the photo of choice (click browse, choose photo, click open on computer window). Then click attachment on the forums once you see the file option listed next to new attachment.

Image has been scaled down 43% (916x516). Click this bar to view original image (1600x900). Click image to open in new window.

Now, you will need to insert this into your post by clicking insert post button.

Image has been scaled down 43% (916x516). Click this bar to view original image (1600x900). Click image to open in new window.

Scroll down to add more new attachments by following the same procedure and insert them into your post on the forums. Tip: If you are placing photos in order in the thread, watch where you cursor is in the text box before clicking on insert.

The final step is choosing post thread option at the bottom.

Hope this helps - please let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks,
Barbara

Thanks Phil for posting the instructions here.

Pearl - Let us know if you need more help. Here is a link to the same thread with the screen shots in case the visuals will be helpful.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...-To-A-Post

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Hi,

Did you take the images? How about posting some examples.

Mike

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by R90S
Apr 23, 2006, 12:47