Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi from west Yorkshire

Hi all,
Just returned to photography after long layoff, last body was a Nikon F2AS!
Hoping to learn new techniques and tricks!
Have invested in a s/h canon EOS 40D and am looking for a do-it-lens and tripod, any suggestions greatfully accepted!

Regards, Al

Al,

Hello and welcome to the photography forum! We are glad you are here with us! We also look forward to learning more about you and seeing some of your work!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Welcome. I would say that it very much depends on what you want to photograph. I have a sturdy tripod, that mainly remains at home. As for lenses, to start with I would suggest a 55-80mm, with an aperture depending on your budget, and get others as your choice of photographic subjects develops.

Hello and Welcome to shuttertalk Ozalid Smile If your going to use for portability try to get a lightest one like the manfrotto or induro. But I bet there are more cheaper and lighter brands out there. What you need more is the ballhead that holds your camera most of the time. There are lot of different kinds of ballheads out there with main purpose. Try to get something that suits your needs most of the time. See you around shuttertalk.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Thanks for the advice, I realise everything is subjective and needs to suitable for the purpose for which it is obtained, not even sure why I asked the question! Looking at the Canon L series range of telephoto lenses the 70-200 F4 looks perfect and I guess at around 400 is a reasonable bet for an all-rounder.

Cheers, Al

No worries Ozalid. I myself also ask some subjective questions too. I bet that L series is one great line up from the canon brand.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by johneccles
Feb 20, 2014, 07:28