Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best lens for close-ups??

Hi Everyone,

I found this poor butterfly outside my workshop last friday after a heavy downpour. I only had an 18-55mm std lens and a 24mm Sigma in my bag. I wasn't too happy with the results and would appreciate any advice.

A cracking shot with the kit that you had to hand. The settings are not attached to the file, so don’t know which lens you chose, but you might have stopped down a tad to increase DoF and made the rear of the butterfly sharper. You could have selectively blurred out a bit of the background in PS afterwards. But a nice shot. Well done.

Well done, agree with Dean. Did you do any post editing at all. Like to know settings/Lens. Ed.

Welcome to the forums coachline56! Glad to have you here on site with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Nov 7, 2013, 03:25)Dean Wrote:  A cracking shot with the kit that you had to hand. The settings are not attached to the file, so don’t know which lens you chose, but you might have stopped down a tad to increase DoF and made the rear of the butterfly sharper. You could have selectively blurred out a bit of the background in PS afterwards. But a nice shot. Well done.

Hi Dean, EdMak & Barbara G

Many thanks for your posts. I have (hopefully) attached the camera details. I used the Sigma 24mm and had to bring the colours back up in an old program I've had for years, due to forgetting to zero the exposure bias. The camera, and the k-r before it, takes great photos on auto and I can never remember what 'stopping down' means. It was the narrow DoF that I couldn't figure out at the time, I think.    

Considering settings it's really great. Ed.

(Nov 7, 2013, 12:26)EdMak Wrote:  Considering settings it's really great. Ed.

Thanks Ed. I usually photograph landscapes, birds and animals and rely on the camera to give me the best results. I would like to learn how to take better photos when an opportunity like the butterfly arises. I now see what Dean means and hope I can remember it in the future.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post