Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mad people!

Recent day out at Canada Olympic Park for the "sliding downhill in an ice channel" events! These competitors are getting up to well over 65MPH and no brakes or ejector seats! Just wanted to see if I could pan as they went by or at least get some clear shots... Liked some of the helmet designs... I have picked a few... there are over a thousand from the two days of competition... ( the Sports Canada official photographer had two 1Dx's and took over 4 thousand shots!!)

Camera - Canon 1D MklV
Lens - Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS Mkll
Most were at TV-1000-1600
AV- f8 for all
Shooting mode in AV
ISO -1000 -
it was a dull light for the most part and to overcome hand held camera and very fast moving subjects a high TV was needed to get any chance of a clear shot. The afternoon was a strong almost horizontal sun on one part of the track.

These 4 were tipping over at this point and went the last 500m on there heads and still qualified!!

Team GB in the 4 man Smile

and the singles

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

and just a last couple... :-)

Our American cousins Big Grin

Any comments from the proponents of this genre would be very welcome as would any others

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fantastic shots, nothing to add!

(Jan 29, 2015, 10:30)EnglishBob Wrote:  Fantastic shots, nothing to add!

Really? Thank you! Many would want motion blur for artisticism (?) but when the subject is less than 4m away at 60+mph.. I am trying to follow, zoom out as they approach to frame and shoot... was all I could do to get them in frame never mind arty stuff... many, many still were just ice, heels or toes.. :-( That said, talking to the Sports Canada Pro shooter... he was getting the same so I didn't feel that bad...

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson