Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jules - separate critique section - is it possible?

I know I brought this up before, but was hoping to bring it up again as I see the potential for "something" starting.

Part of my own camera growth is critiquing my work, but since I have access to so many more pictures of others in so many different areas its refreshing to be able to critique it in the hopes of making my own work better, but also to help "you" make yours better.

This is a great group and I would miss not being a part of it, but often feel as though I should always say something positive about a photo rather than challenging the work just a little bit. If we had a separate section Titled "Critique Me" or something like that I think we could separate those photos where people are specifically asking for comments.

Photo showcase is great, but for just that. Posting pictures. I'll likely split my time between the two. Occasionally I just want to share, other times I want the keen eye of 10 people. Not separating the two can cause hard feelings.

Let's learn from each other.

Thoughts?

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Yes!

Yes

Cave canem

I agree with you Jerry. It would be very positive to read the critics made to others pictures and to your own... And have another section just to share pictures with the forum...

I support the idea Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

This is a great group and I would sorry miss not being a part of it.........

You are not only an original of this group, but a member of ADI.

YOU MAY NOT LEAVE! :x

Cave canem

lol lol .. i reread my post and meant to say "sorely" Thanks for the chuckle Ruf.

Hey I agree with you all, but I'm concerned that people would be confused as to which section to post their photos in. I mean most people post something up to have feedback right? Anyway, I've started a new forum called "Photo Critique". Big Grin

Thanks! The confusion will be cleared up in time as people post pictures.

Photo Showcase = picture posting, commentary limited to "nice pic" "great shot" etc etc. Don't post here and expect feedback.

Photo Critique = Expect comments, positive or negative about your picture and how to improve it. Its very subjective.

Most of my stuff wil be in the critique section as I hope value all of shuttertalk's half-witted opinions as to how I can generate better shots. lol.

Cheers all!

Jerry

Hi

I think is a brilliant idea....but just not have a little icon or something that we do not want comments on the pix? as the problem is going to be people posting pixs in the tow forums?

There are a lot of other web server that you can post pixs for the fun of it. or even better geocities or freewebs...you can create your on website and gallery.

Regards

Christian

I think this is the wrong place to have this discussion.

I've always felt that here was a place you can get a kind word. Most critiquing sites are fairly hard particularly when you try something not lovely and pretty. I think dividing the criticque section would be like a two tiered society. It would weaken both tiers.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Correct Don. I think the problem is that most people here accept criticism of their photos but - because we have become a group of virtual-friends - we expect criticism to be tempered with a "positive" first.

For example - if you don't like a picture you see - you point out something positive first (I like the lighting) - and then suggest an improvement - rather than saying " you picture sucks - fix it or remove it".

We are (for the most part) not Pros and we are seeking a supportive environment in which to improve - most of the people here are not confident enough in their skill set to take criticism that is not tempered with a little praise.

If contributors want to criticize without positive encouragement, I suggest photosig - because there you get points for all reviews - and negative reviews take much less effort than positive reviews.

Just my 2 cents (Candian - 1.6 cents US)

hi

yes toad very good points. I always tryed to included some positive points on my comments. it is very dificult to improve if someone does not tell you what wrong.

cya

1.8 cents US nowadays

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I invite the idea of a Critique forum. I also think it is very simple. That is where to post if you want feedback. That is only where you give feedback.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I invite the idea of a Critique forum. I also think it is very simple. That is where to post if you want feedback. That is only where you give feedback.
With a small group of members we get to learn after a while when to give critique and who to give it to. As the forum grows in membership it becomes more difficult as new users automatically believe giving critique is welcome in all forums because that is what they see.

My flickr images

I think the new forum will be devisive, based on my present experience. It's like funding private schools. All of the critical resources will go over there leaving Photo Showcase as a rump.

--Don

Hmmm. I always assumed that people felt free to comment on possible improvements in Photo Showcase. Does this mean that people will not comment there now?

I am not sure how I feel about that. I have always used this forum (and ADI before it) as a place to get some feeback on what I was up to photographically. One day I take some photos - mess with them a bit - and post them. I know that they are not all great - and sometimes a non-response to a posted photo is as eleoquent as a paragraph of text.

The point is - for me, photography is a growing experience. I try some stuff - sometimes people like it - sometimes not - sometimes I don't care much because I like it. I learn by seeing other people's experimentation as I am sure they learn by looking at mine. Sometimes I post something I am not very impressed with but others like it a lot. That tells me something too.

Point is - if I am posting in a forum that says "Critiques wanted" - I am probably never going to post experimental stuff or works in progress - or photos where I am playing with a technique or style that I haven't quite gotten right yet. I will only post tried and true "A" file stuff. Nobody will probably ever see my experiments - and maybe that's not so good.

I like the Photoshop Playground forum - that is a good place for people to request help or just to throw something out and say "have fun".

Maybe the problem is that most posts in response to a photo are too nice - not enough meat to them - not enough real suggestions on how to improve them - I actually don't think that is the case - but maybe that's how people feel. Maybe I'm just an old guy that isn't all that confident about my own stuff - I don't really mind getting "nice job" responses - but I also don't mind getting improvement feedback (as long as it is offered in a constructive manner). That is the rub to me - the tone - not the suggestion.

Maybe I'll never get better if I don't ask for formal critiques - I doubt that. I will get better from seeing a lot of other people's works (not just their best shots) and building on what I see.

Just my 2 cents.

Now after reading more I feel I'm on the fence about the issue. :/

My flickr images

So, it's been a week since the new Photo Critique section was launched. Is it working for you? Finding it useful? Or just adding to the confusion? Big Grin

As for me:

Quote:Is it working for you?

Yes!

Quote:Finding it useful?

Very useful.

Quote:just adding to the confusion?

No, not at all.

I thank you very much for opening Photo Critique, I have learnt a lot! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I don't post anything other than niceties in the photoshowcase section. I do however appreciate the critique section for bending my brain. Thanks Jules!

Keep up the good work. The site looks great!

I'm well up for critiques.
Yes.
Really I am.

What do you mean? How dare you! A pox on you and your cat! :o

Cave canem

I've posted in poetry sites where high criticism is required. You get blasted if you don't critique line by line. I hate that. I can't make up my mind if I want intensive criticism or not. I will continue posting here and critiquw as extensively as I wish (like it or not). I am always gentle.

--Don

Erm, ..... was that a reply to me Don?

I dont follow...... :/

Cave canem

After discovering this site back in November, I immediately joined because of the sense of family and supportiveness. That said, I think both forums have their place. I've seen plenty of harsh criticism at other sites, often mean spirited. Shuttertalk is different and I like that. Showcase is just that, a place to display works that you like and receive support (and the occasional critique), the Photo Critique is the place to receive constructive comments on how to improve your technique. Both are valuable forums. Heaven knows, I need some posative re-inforcement and can always use comments on improving my technique as well. Keep em both!

Lars

** Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Apr 1, 2012, 07:20