Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Easter Road

Here is an image from a day out I had in Edinburgh, camera round my neck.

Nikon D80, 1/180 sec, f11, ISO 200, 202mm lens equivalent.

Feel free to comment, however harshly. As long as it is constructive, I don't mind.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

My take John. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Certainly a lot brighter, but maybe a touch too yellow/green.

Don't see that here, I am calibrated via Photoshop's Adobe Gamma, anybody else care to comment how they see it. Ed.

To each his own!

I don't mean it is hugely yellow, but if you take a reading of the RGB levels on the Upper LH side of the van door (enlarged for clarity), my original values are 229-229-229 (neutral) whereas on the redone image the values are 240-240-230, indicating a slight yellow tinge (Ivory is officially 238-238-224). It is all a matter of taste. I always set my neutrals by the numbers but that is just the way I do it.

Over my head, (same applies to Histogram, never look at it), I go by what I see, also, don't print my own pics, get A3's done externally, the prints are close to what I see on Monitor, and what I recall, although eyesight is not what it used to be!! Ed.

To each his own!

John, your original looks to have got the colour balance OK on my screen. The short shadows seem to indicate that the sun was high in the sky, so the yellow cast in the edit doesn't suit the time of day and has also given the clouds an unnatural greenish tint. If it were mine I would just add a bit of fill-light (or give a slight upward curve to the lower half of the Curves graph) to lift the shadow areas, to make the scene appear as it would probably be perceived by our vision.

Cheers.
Philip

Following up to Post #7, this type of edit in Curves:

maintains the blacks while lifting the darker areas:

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks, Philip. I tend to have dark shadows in nearly all of my photographs. I will have to take more care and open them up. Now I do my initial post processing with Lightroom, it is a lot more evident when the shadows need shifted.

I like what Mr-B did it made the shot pop a little nice work though

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Apr 18, 2016, 03:44
Last Post by Irma
Jun 23, 2010, 03:53
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 31, 2005, 21:51