Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

North West Highlands

What would you make of this one?

Canisp and Suilven, crowned with cloud.

Nikon D80, 1/500 sec, f8, ISO 250, 46mm lens equivalent.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Not a lot John, bit more detail, dumped the car. Nice one. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

To me the car was an integral part of the composition. Without it you could be looking at a footpath, passing by small rocks and stones. Not massive outcrops of rock, left after the Ice Age.

Fair comment, your pic.
First thing I saw was the car, not the scene.
To me the road now leads me into the nice pic, my thoughts.

Regards. Ed.

To each his own!

Generally looks good to me, John. I just wonder whether it needs a slight clockwise rotation - distant cloud bases are often horizontal. If it were mine, I would consider selectively adjusting colour balance and brightness - the foreground looks slightly biased towards red and could be a bit brighter for me. As usual from me, these are subtle adjustments.

Cheers.
Philip

Cannot argue with the cloud base (never gave that a thought) or brightening the foreground. The gorse and heather however, are distinctly brown prior to the summer, so I would probably leave the colour alone, but as you say, just very subtle changes. Thanks for your input.

Love the composition, like the car as it gives my eye somewhere to land. My only changes would be to darken the sky a little, either through increased contrast or maybe with a graduated darkening layer. Could lower skies exposure or just a graduated gray layer set to darken.

Craig. Is this more what you had in mind?

Yes, just a little more contrast and definition in the clouds. Though I will admit I tend to "overcook" them a lot of the time and the weather tends to look like a hurricane is coming at any minute in some of my shots.

I really need to get back to teh UK and shoot some of the highlands, haven't been home in so long.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post