Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Competition

Do any of you compete in photography competitions? I'm about to enter my first one at the local camera club.... and now all my pictures have turned to total crap before my eyes and in 6 years of images I can't find 4 I think are worthy! Or of the right resolution for printing.

So anyone out there, what's your competition experience?

I've only entered one, which was a comp run at the local shopping center, but didn't win. In fact, only the top 3 winners were ever announced, so I don't know close I ever came to photographic glory. Big Grin

Is there a theme?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hmm...photo contests are more about the judge's preferences and biases than the quality of the photos a lot of times - people from ADI will undoubtably remember the one judge in the POTW contests who felt that one of the mandatory requirements of a winning photo is that it had been cropped and matted to a 16x20 format. Big Grin

BTW: isn't it about time to move back to the non-Christmas emoticons?

I for one hate competitions. Thety just make me feel rotten. I'd rather just have someone tell me they want to use my photo in a book or a web site. I fly on a cloud then.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Toad Wrote:BTW: isn't it about time to move back to the non-Christmas emoticons?

Haha, I'm trying to finish off the new template, which will bring back the old emoticons. It should be coming soon, very possibly this weekend. Big Grin

Keep some christmas ones on throughout the year Smile I'm interested in using them Smile haha

In a competition, I think that you'd what the judges want, whatever would please them. And what pleases me, might be displeasing for someone else!

Like a lot of things that are 'art', probably I'm not 'artistic' enough to see 'whats so good about it'

There is no theme, anything can be entered and it's only the local Camera Club, so not a lot of glory there Big Grin

All pictures are mounted and matted.

I'd recommend you Bob, if I may, to look at your beautiful pictures, (because you have beautiful pictures, I have seen almost all your gallery and its really good) detach your feelings about them, and choose the best one, the best technique and all those things you know one has to considere in a picture, give it to the contest and have fun.

After all, contest should be taken like so, events your participate and enjoy... If you won, that would be great, but if you didn't there wouldn't be harm done and you had a really good time Smile

Hope it helps you Bob, and I wish you the best

Enjoy it! Wink

BTW: This post is based in my own experience in contests, I have been in one, I didn't win... I don't write the experience because it might be borring... so better I give you the outcome of my experience Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

hi everyone

Yes I highly recommen to enter one or two. this are my two zim cent:

1: make a few prints of the ones you think are good.
2: show them around...and not to friends! make notes what they like and if it needs a crop?
3: choose the ones they like and you like.
4: show them around and ask more.
5: is not quantity is quality that counts. (Select)

Enter them.

Even if you do not win, you will make sure next year you will win. It really opens your eyes if you get feedback from the judges.

Also, yes... it is very very subjective, very personal and judges are ussualy a few that choose the winner.

I have enter a few, won a few, lost a few. a few not even a mention.

Regards

Christian

The hard part is going to be coming up with 24 prints worthy of entry this year..... 48 if I eventually decide to enter monochromwe as well.

Great tips, Christian! Thanks Big Grin

Well, I entered 4 prints, 3 I really like and one I wasn't sure on... got 8/10 on teh 3 I liked and 9/10 on the one I wasn't sure of!

Guess my tastes aren't like the judges! But I did feel good about the scores, there were a lot of 6's and 7's from people who have been entering for years.

Congrats! Well done! Which ones did you end up entering?

Congratulations Bob! I'm very happy for you. Next time you will be the winner Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

[Image: normal_chaffee%20-%202004-09-27%2015-02-46.jpg]

[Image: normal_sept04-11.jpg]

[Image: normal_Deer%20-%2002.jpg]

[Image: normal_waiting.jpg]

The first picture was the one that scored the 9.