Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

El Captian from the tunnel view

D7200  18-55  @32mm  f7.1  1/5000  iso 1000

Love the mood here, is this from the storm this past week-end?

(Jun 13, 2017, 01:30)EnglishBob Wrote:  Love the mood here, is this from the storm this past week-end?

Yes it was taken 11 Jun 17 @ 0846.  I went to take the moon bow got a few ok ones then I went to glacier point for the sun rise I was going to leave on hwy41 but with the clouds and the fog I wanted to see what the tunnel view looked like really glad I did

I wanted to head up there, but had a shoot on Saturday, and Camera Club Competition all day Sunday. Looks Like I missed a good opportunity.

(Jun 13, 2017, 09:39)EnglishBob Wrote:  I wanted to head up there, but had a shoot on Saturday, and Camera Club Competition all day Sunday.  Looks Like I missed a good opportunity.
Ya I know the feeling but there will be more opportunities at the present time my 140 route is closed due to a slide

like to see it a bit lighter, that's personal/monitor. great though.

Surprised at settings, 1/5000, ISO 1000, any specific reasons. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 13, 2017, 15:06)EdMak Wrote:  like to see it a bit lighter, that's personal/monitor. great though.

Surprised at settings,   1/5000,   ISO 1000,   any specific reasons.  Ed.

I used a high ISO and shutter speed because I was shooting hand held and wanted to eliminate camera shake

I agree with Craig that its a good moody shot but also agree with Ed that it could be a bit lighter (in the shadow areas).

The camera settings are still rather surprising, even given the reply to Ed - was it shot from a moving vehicle or was a strong wind blowing?

Cheers.
Philip

(Jun 14, 2017, 14:28)MrB Wrote:  I agree with Craig that its a good moody shot but also agree with Ed that it could be a bit lighter (in the shadow areas).

The camera settings are still rather surprising, even given the reply to Ed - was it shot from a moving vehicle or was a strong wind blowing?  

Cheers.
Philip
I rechecked the settings that I used and the ones I listed are the ones I used.  It was shot standing there was a slight breeze but nothing verry strong.  I went back in light room and increased the exposure giving it a brighter look is this any better?  Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.

Jerry, the difference between conventional and digital, conventional, we all see the same print. Digital, we see the print as the monitor dictates.
My monitor is calibrated using P/S Adobe Gamma, and only use single channel, not all three. What I see, my prints are very close to.

This one looks flat to me. But you seen the original, another bonus.

My offering is from a 195 Kb file size, your one will be very, very much larger.

Smaller size, less maneuverability.

Your other print on Showcase, had lovely highlights on the foreground treetops, have another go at it??

Cheers Ed.

Edit, warmed a bit, did not look as on monitor.

Edit, edit. Tried to remove the original, unsuccessful.

To each his own!

(Jun 15, 2017, 01:11)jjford43 Wrote:  
(Jun 14, 2017, 14:28)MrB Wrote:  I agree with Craig that its a good moody shot but also agree with Ed that it could be a bit lighter (in the shadow areas).

Cheers.
Philip
I rechecked the settings that I used and the ones I listed are the ones I used.  It was shot standing there was a slight breeze but nothing verry strong.  I went back in light room and increased the exposure giving it a brighter look is this any better?  Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.

The reason for my questions were that the shooting settings seem rather extreme.

For best landscape image quality, the usual guideline is to use the lowest possible ISO to avoid detail-damaging image noise. The usual guideline for avoidance of camera shake is to use a shutter speed no slower than 1/F, where F is the equivalent focal length - that would be at least 1/50s for a 32mm lens on APS-C without image stabilisation.

It is likely that we all shake the camera differently but, if the D7200 had been set to its base ISO of 100, the exposure would have been 1/500s - still 10 times the guideline speed for avoiding blur.

The brightened version of Post #9 is a definite improvement; the new processing has, however, changed the colour balance which was better in the original image, in my view.

Hope you don't mind me posting the edited example below:

Cheers.
Philip

(Jun 15, 2017, 06:53)MrB Wrote:  
(Jun 15, 2017, 01:11)jjford43 Wrote:  

Cheers.
Philip

The reason for my questions were that the shooting settings seem rather extreme.

For best landscape image quality, the usual guideline is to use the lowest possible ISO to avoid detail-damaging image noise. The usual guideline for avoidance of camera shake is to use a shutter speed no slower than 1/F, where F is the equivalent focal length - that would be at least 1/50s for a 32mm lens on APS-C without image stabilisation.

It is likely that we all shake the camera differently but, if the D7200 had been set to its base ISO of 100, the exposure would have been 1/500s - still 10 times the guideline speed for avoiding blur.

The brightened version of Post #9 is a definite improvement; the new processing has, however, changed the colour balance which was better in the original image, in my view.

Hope you don't mind me posting the edited example below:

Cheers.
Philip
No I don't mind and I will keep your recomended suggestions in mined next time I am shooting I like your input and thank you for the time and effort you afforded me

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Jul 1, 2020, 10:22
Last Post by MBS
Jun 18, 2020, 07:06