Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

B&W pracitce (3 images)

I've been working with B&W. Basically they were just desaturated and worked with highlights and shadows, levels and contrast. Probably the subject might not be too interesting but what I would like very much to know is if you find my post-processing acceptable.

Thanks for your comments. Smile

[Image: P1090247columbinamer.jpg]

[Image: P1100211pinewaterdropsbw.jpg]

[Image: P1090775panningbw.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Absolutely Irma. I like the shades. The first looks infrared. I like the tone of #2. I'd like to see the same tone in #2 applied to #3.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Ok I will se if I get it the same .... Smile

Thanks a lot for your comment Smile

Note..... few minutes later......

I thought it was easier but it isn't Sad I will try tomorrow I am dead tired....

Paul Cezanne

#1 really brings out the texture of the flower. I like the post processing on #3 the best.

You mention that your post processing technique involves desaturating. For more creative control over your B&W results, try using the channel mixer in monochrome mode. It is under the Layer->New Adjustment Layer menu in PhotoShop (assuming you use PhotoShop). Click the toggle box at the bottom to work in monochrome.

This technique really gives a lot more control than simply desaturating as you can vary the level of each channel independently - you can achieve B&W results that are very Ansel Adamish by dropping the blue channel a lot and playing with the red and green channels.

It seems counter intuitive to talk about color channels on a B&W picture - but give it a try - you will see what I mean.

Best
Toad

Thanks Toad for your comment on my pictures and advice. I will work on this.

Colin, I couldn't get the same tone in #3. I think probably because #2 is totally green and #3 is brown and blue mainly....

Paul Cezanne

I love #1, the textures and tones are both wonderful. Good work as usual Irma.

I like your work Irma - all three photos are fitting of b/w treatment and I like the three different shades of monochrome.

#2 is a very interesting pic! I like! Big Grin

Thanks a lot Bob and ST for your comments. Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Jul 1, 2013, 01:16
Last Post by melvin
Apr 19, 2013, 19:04