Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A bridge and a lighthouse

These were my pictures I got yesterday...

This is the bridge to the island.

[Image: DSC_0010bridge.jpg]

The lighthouse...

[Image: DSC_0083-01lighthouse.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Spectacular shot with the bridge, Irma! I love the cleanness of the photo - everything is very pleasing to look at. Was that taken from a car?

Nice lighthouse shot too - I like it!

Both are very nice - I really like the mood and lighting in the lighthouse shot - lighting is everything...

I love the shot of the bridge Irma, great tonal qualities and I like the composition. The lighthouse is good too, but to me is overshadowed by being in the same threads as teh bridge.

Thanks for your comments on my pictures....

ST, yes the picture was taken from the car. I kept taking pictures from a far distance thinking that I would get a good one from the lot... I am very content with this picture because I didn't need to crop or straighten it....

Toad... I am very happy you like the light in the lighthouse picture... I wasn't sure about the light here... But I left the light in the lighthouse to rule the light in the picture I wanted it to look bright...

Bob, I was a bit unhappy with the colors on the picture... the bridge was green and against the blue sky looked really bad... G suggested the conversion and turned out much better... You are right about posting both pictures in the same thread... I should have done it separately...

Paul Cezanne

I love the bridge pic too, for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else, nice and clean with an interesting point of view.
I like the lighthouse shot too, of course

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thanks Schell for your comment Smile

I have to say that thanks to Slejhamer's tutorial my convertion to B&W has bettered a lot Smile

Paul Cezanne

I Prefer 1st foto,very nice shot.

Rgds

Love #1 Irma... really terrific!

The composition, crop and symmetry are spot-on! And the light, well, it is close to perfect IMHO and gives the image the "clean" look that suits it so much. You've kept all the detail in the important parts (including the shadows) without blowing out the very interesting sky or losing the lovely defined overall shapes of the image. Even the detail and exposure on the cars (which could easily be sacrificed to maintain good exposure on the bridge) is spot on! The choice of B/W is a no-brainer here, but your conversion and treatment of the b/w is brilliant. This shot could easily be a still from a Mercedes commercial or something.
And to think you captured all this while maintaining a deep DOF and fast shutter speed from a moving car... well.. that either takes a lot of luck or someone who knows their stuff and can work intuitively and very quickly... or both! And I think you perhaps had both Smile Well done.

The 2nd shot of the lighthouse is a great subject to shoot.. but I feel this image doesn't quite grab me like the first image. I suspect it might have a lot of potential though. I think a bit of careful RAW-editing and photoshopping to mask and expose the various elements of the image seperately (sky, grass, hut, lighthouse), and perhaps a different crop... and you might be able to do wonders with this 2nd image.
As it is though, the overall exposure is somewhat of a compromise and doesn't quite provide a great exposure to any of the individual elements... but the elements themselves are quite interesting.

But you posted these in the showcase section, not the critique section... oops, sorry! Smile

Great stuff Irma.. keep it up!

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks for your comment Juan Ignacio ... Smile

Adrian, Thanks a lot Smile

I took the picture with my 50mm lens and a pol filter. I got good color in the sky and I think that let me work more in the detail of the bridge without losing much detail in the clouds when I worked the convertion to B&W.

Thanks for your advice about the lighthouse picture... I worked today in other landscape picture, with more defined lines, trying to figure out how to work with mask because I really don't know.. Probably I haven't got a good idea how a layer mask works.. This might be a good challenge.. Smile

Thanks again.
Irma.

Paul Cezanne

WOW!!! Those are simply fantastic in my opinion Irma! The composition and symmetry of the first one is just awesome, and you can almost feel the mood of the second shot. Great job!

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Awesome photos Irma. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Irma bonza shot. Wink

Thanks for your comments. I am so happy you like them... I am working in another version of the lighthouse picture... I has been very interesting and I am learning a lot ! Smile !

Paul Cezanne

The bridge, definitely. I agree with Kombi as regards its clean, almost commercial(in the best sense of the word) feel: a touch of the modern-historical flavour too, sort of Picture Post.
(Am relieved you said you were in a car; had visions of you dodging extremely quickly with the tripod there!)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 16, 2017, 05:54
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 13, 2017, 01:40
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Dec 2, 2015, 23:10