Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Waiting for Captains.

This is a picture I took in Monterey a few weeks back..while I like the image it is lacking something.... suggestions? Click image for larger image.

[Image: normal_waiting%20for%20captains.jpg]

My suggestion would be to work with the reflections of the boats to make them more prominent.. and perhaps to work a bit more with the sky, pink colors on it?... or some clouds?

Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like it and don't really see much wrong, though I guess I'm not really drawn into it either. Irma's suggestions sound good.

Craig,

For me its lacking a focal point. I understand that its intending to portray the collection of boats, but the cluttered composition and lack of color/contrast make it more of a "snapshot". Hope that doesn't sound too harsh.

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I looked at the shot earlier and wasn't sure how to respond but after reading Jerry's post I'd have to agree.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

You won't hear argument from me... there is no focal point. That was my gripe to begin with and the reason I posted in critique.. Smile

How about doing some "creative" blending and putting in a sunset in the backdrop?

Wouldn't work... the light is too stong coming in from left of frame.

Well....
I tried firstly attempting to pick up on that implicit horizontal "V" shape with the cloud and wave(just about visible on yours) but failed.
I then was also stumped when i looked for a focal point until I realised this isn't the thing to try to ascribe here.
Then I thought, ahhh, pattern/texture. I boosted saturation and contrast to bring out pattern/texture of subject, to the point of deliberately blowing out the highlights.
I then added diffusion to further isolate masts, then went even further with smart blur to stylize the image and leave behind what my eye was weighing up to be the important residual stuff....
er... anyway; I like it; hope it's not taken it away from being a photo but I did try to enhance what was there....
[Image: capn.JPG]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Wahh! Sorry folks, forgot to resize it!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Sorry, that doesn't work for me... appreciate the effort though Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post