Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

...Speaking of Niece Photos

Rufus' recent shoot with his niece reminded me of a very different photo I took of my niece when I was in Tassie last Christmas.

[Image: SundayOnStairs_450.jpg]

We were waiting for her mum (my sister) to finish doing something, and my niece was playing on a stairway. I took my time to compose the shot while she was wandering up and down the stairs (counting them I think) oblivious to what I was doing. Then at the opportune time I called out her name so she'd turn around to look at me, and SNAP!

Although the image quality isn't that great (it was taken with my old Olympus C750)and you can't make out a lot of detail in her face, I still really like this shot. I took another one a little bit later that was zoomed in more, but I like the wider shot better with just her tiny face in the middle, in amongst all the swooping lines.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

This is just amazing. The lines really dominate the picture...

I wonder what it would look like if she were just a little more down the stairs, more in the thirds rule... (Not too hard to do in PS I suppose) But the shot is just amazing as it is. Well done!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Great lines, love that staircase!

I like it as well. I wonder what it would look like without the white stair railing etc to the left.

That would leave twisting line as the dominant feature, with her head making up the focal point.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

This is an absolutely magical shot. In terms of composition, the lines and curves really work well, and so does the dead centre placement of the head. She's got such a cheeky look which is wonderful - definitely a keeper...

I agree with the comments already mentioned and also agree about maybe removing the white raling but I'd take a chance and take your neice out of the shot. I think it would look great as a total abstract. Just a thought.

[Image: 33_SundayOnStairs_450.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I prefer it with the child for a sense of scale.

Thanks guys.

Certainly I think the staircase is a worthy subject in its own right, and I really like the clean lines of Peto's interpretation.
But for me, this is a shot of my niece rather than a shot of a staircase... Simply because she is my niece. Smile

And I also feel like I can't take credit for the staircase because it was obviously designed to be as beautiful as it is.
It is located at the Centre for the Arts in Hobart (the Art School for Tas Uni), and the whole complex is just beautiful. It was the old IXL jam factory down on the Hobart docks that was gutted and renovated about 15 years ago. The transformation was fantastic and in places the building is an artwork in its own right. It beautifully balances old and new and oozes character from every pore. I keep meaning to take more photos of it each time I visit Hobart. To get an idea, think of the concept behind the Tate Modern building and then apply it to a Jam factory on a much less grand scale. Big Grin

Maybe its just me? I loooove old industrial buildings and its great to see them treated respectfully.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

The original is great because as Bob mentioned you can appreciate the magnitude of the place... her face and what a girl represents looks great among those hard lines... As an abstract looks also fantastic...

Beautiful picture, Kombi Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

WOW!!!

That's stunning!!!

Cave canem

Great stuff.

If making changes, I'd go 1/2-way - leave in the girl, but take out the lower rail a la Peto.

Cute kid!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post