Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Undersea (abstract)

Few weeks ago we went to an industrial harbor... sort of... I took this picture thinking that it would be useful to work with texture or patterns... I worked with it the last two days... and I got this....

Thanks for your comments Smile

[Image: DSC_0080-04undersea.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Well, I normally love your images Irma, but I am afraid to say that this one doesn't do anything for me Sad

I think my main problem is that it doesn't look like a photograph! Probably just me and sorry I can't offer anythig more constructive.

All that said, I do like the composition and the idea of what I think your trying to achieve. Smile

I thank you very much for your comment Bob. It is very kind of you to comment on my work, specially when it doesn't do anything for you. I really appreciate it very much. Smile

I am trying with abstracts and I know that it will be very difficult to get something really good... I am sure I will get a lot of "It doesn't work" before I get a "Wow" Big Grin

I hope you all don't mind me showing my work....

Well, this work came from this picture...

Thanks again Bob Smile

[Image: DSC_0080-01undersea_o.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

Wow, I actually quite like it, Irma. They look like some sort of eerie lightshow.

I take it though that the shapes were not originally like that?

The top image came from the second photo?

Wow. Very nice.

I like the first (the second doesn't do much for me, but is an interesting texture) but think it needs to be split up. Either light pattern is good, but they don't add to the other. There's no interaction or relationship between them, if that makes sense.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

You built the first photo from the second??

I'm intrigued!! How did you do this conversion if you don't mind sharing? Brilliant technique.

Now that is impressive, while I may not like the result I can appreciate the work and intent.

As for the two shaoes corresponding I cna see the connection, a fish and what I would guess is a sea cucumber of some sort.

Hm... maybe a blue fish jumping into a pink bowl... Big Grin

Thanks a lot for your comments Smile

You are right Matt... I think I should have left the fish alone... this is the one I like the most Smile

Toad, ST here is what I did....

Here I worked with selective color in the whole picture darkening the reds and saturating the blue of the aluminum... then I selected color just the blue and add another adjstment layer with selective color and made it bluer... duplicate my layer two times and moved them one up the other one down and worked with oppacity to see all the rings...

[Image: DSC_0080-01undersea_o1.jpg]

I flattened the previous picture and worked with transform.... distortion... I just dragged the corners down and up and a bit to the center to make it like a shell...

[Image: DSC_0080-01undersea_o2.jpg]

I worked with brightness and contrast to make it fluorescent... and removed the little red spots of the rusty color....

[Image: DSC_0080-01undersea_o3.jpg]

This is my original idea...

[Image: DSC_0080-04undersea2.jpg]

But yesterday I went a bit crazy and I wanted to see what else I could do with this bright form... and I got the fish...

Thanks again for your comments Smile

Paul Cezanne

Wow, beautiful work Irma!

Brilliant!! We have all learned a significant technique today. Excellent innovation!

I think some were thrown off by the title - this is not "abstract" in that it is very representational - obviously a fish and anenome - abstract is usually washes of color and form. It is a wonderful flight of fancy nonetheless - you have taught me a lot today.

I love your original idea, Irma (the last photo posted)
Did you take the photo with the idea of playing with it, or was it just a build up of different ideas?

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thanks a lot for your comments Smile

Toad, I am very content you found the technique interesting... I appreciate very much your comment ... Smile

Schell, I took the picture with the idea of working with it... I didn't know then what it would be, but I had the feeling that it might be useful...

I have another work in process... Big Grin I took a picture of a trunk with the same idea of working with it later... The picture has developed nicely in a starry night... It has taken me a bit of time... I don't know yet, when it will be finished...

Paul Cezanne

Thats some pretty creative artwork Irma. Way to go. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Dec 12, 2010, 02:48
Last Post by Irma
Jan 19, 2010, 05:20
Last Post by byrt_001
Nov 6, 2005, 06:00