Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Real Macro Attempts

Hey guys,

After reading the recent thread on"Macros: Close up filters vs Extension tubes?" and seeing the stunning shots posted there, I was inspired to go outside and give it a go myself.

I'd previously tried reversing my 50mm f/1.8 and taken a couple of test shots inside just to see how it all worked, but I'd never gone outside hunting insects or putting the technique to any practical use.... until yesterday.

As I don't have *any* special gear (no macro lenses, close-up filters, extension tubes, or even a reverse-mounting lens adaptor), I simply took my 50mm lens off the camera (stopping it down to f/8 and holding down the DOF Preview button as I removed it), reversed it and held it roughly in place with my left hand while my right hand held the camera. Considering how dodgy the arrangement was, I was impressed that I was able to get any usable results at all.

Anyway, here are some of my better shots:

[Image: IMG_9228_720.jpg]
1. An everyday house fly in an empty flowerpot.

[Image: IMG_9204_720.JPG]
2. A different type of very groovy fly walking around a garden bed.

[Image: IMG_9250_720.jpg]
3. Part of a Passionfruit plant with some dark moody lighting.

[Image: IMG_9259_720.jpg]
4. Part of a Passionfruit flower.

I think it might be worth me spending a bit more time investigating macros... As I can definately see the appeal of them now. Smile

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Wow, great shots Kombi! The first fly shot is absolutely amazing... and the 2nd one is just creepy (in a good kind of way). The last flower shot is stunning as well - very abstract, alien-like - which is the great thing about macros... you see a whole new world which you never really see normally.

By the way, what lighting were you using? Just the sun?

I assume you were using manual exposure as well... how did you manage the focussing with the lens reversed?

Doh... my SLR doesn't have a DOF preview button... I wonder how I can pre-set the aperture ?

Thanks ST. Smile Those passionfruit flowers really are strange looking - even when not seen as macros! Beautiful though.

Lighting was all just natural light. I started out with my 430EX flash and a diffuser on it, but it just made the camera too cumbersome when trying to hold it all still one-handed while holding the lens against the body with the other hand and not letting any light leak in around the lens.. Its quite a handful when you're trying to duck in around plants and get close to insects while holding it all together. plus the large flash seemed to scare away the flies a bit.

As far as focusing goes, all I did was move the camera closer or further from the subject until it fell into sharp focus, I didn't adjust the focussing on the lens at all.

I did take some shots using aperture priority and not full manual though. Obviously the camera couldn't adjust aperture because the lens wasn't attached to it, but it would still meter through the lens and calculate shutter speed. But I found this method to unreliable - any slight leak of light around the lens would throw the light metering way off I think and many shots because wildly overexposed. After switching to manual (around 1/50th second at 400 ISO with the lens set at f/8) I got much more consistent results.

If you don't have a DOF preview button but you want to select your aperture before removing the lens, hmm.. well there is one thing you could try...

Firstly I take absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for any possible damage that might result from this suggestion, and my only experience with it is that I have tried it ONCE with my 350D and EF-S 17-85 lens and it worked, but not all manufacturers may offer the same level of idiot-proofing that we are trying to exploit here... so think carefully before you try this technique, and proceed at your own risk.

I'd suggest you switch the camera to manual mode, set whatever aperture you want to use and a shutter speed of 3 or 4 seconds.. then press the shutter to take the shot and remove the lens *while* the shot is being taken. You can be sure the aperture is set correctly during the shot, so that's the time to remove the lens. Its just a matter of choosing a long enough shutter speed to give you enough time to remove the lens.

Good luck!
Adrian

Adrian Broughton

These look fantastic for having to hold the lens. I've been considering buying a reverse lens mount myself. I've seen a few on e-bay cheap.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Incredible shots considering the methods used. Very good.

Kombisaurus Wrote:I'd suggest you switch the camera to manual mode, set whatever aperture you want to use and a shutter speed of 3 or 4 seconds.. then press the shutter to take the shot and remove the lens *while* the shot is being taken. You can be sure the aperture is set correctly during the shot, so that's the time to remove the lens. Its just a matter of choosing a long enough shutter speed to give you enough time to remove the lens.

Hey that makes sense, even if it sound quite a bit dodgy... hehe. Maybe I should just pick up an old manual lens (with those aperture rings) from ebay / cash converters for cheap...

By the way, would you consider getting a reverse mount for your lens?

I wonder what the long term implications of shooting like this are... e.g. dust / scratches on the inner lens element, stress on the front construction if reverse mounted (i'm sure the front elements weren't designed to support the whole weight of the lens - well the cheap ones anyway)...

All the more reason to pick up a cheapie from somewhere methinks...

If you can find an old manual 50mm prime it would be perfect for the job.. and being a 50mm prime it should also be dirt cheap (although probably not from cash converters).. good idea ST.

I am considering getting a reverse mount or extension tubes or something - the hand-holding thing is fine for testing things out but I wouldn't want to use it regularly. It exposes the glass at both ends of the lens plus the mirror (and sensor during a shot) to unnecessary risk of damage, plus it probably scratches up the front of the camera body.

I wouldn't be *too* worried about supporting the lens by its filter thread as long as you are only using a small, light lens (like a 50mm prime), but I wouldn't go sticking my 70-200 f/4 L on by this method.

Adrian Broughton

WOW, way cool!

Great shots, my favourite would be #2.

Excellent job with the limited equipment!

Thanx for sharing these.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jun 30, 2017, 13:30