Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I just had to try...

After having seen Zig's picture of the tree with his Tamron 90mm macro lens, I had to go out and try by myself if my lens could do the same Smile now I love it even more Smile

I like this one a lot... very simple... but very countryside... I liked to see how sharpe I could get the tank(?) I worked it B&W because the day was not so beautiful and the colors were a bit pale...

[Image: _DSC5616-01feeder.jpg]

I went to visit my tree again... and I took some pictures... I think it is not in focus here... Actually, I don't know what part of the picture is in focus... but I like it as it is... I think it will give me a lot more posibilities in my pictures...

[Image: _DSC5621-01mytree.jpg]

I found very nice detail in the texture of this tree... I really liked it...

[Image: _DSC5623-01treetexture.jpg]

These are my test pictures with my Tokina 90mm macro lens Wink

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma,

I think the last one is a really beautiful image! (And it shows the lens capabilities well, too).

--NN

Thanks a lot for your comment NN... I like a lot the contrast with the leaves and the dark of the forest... Smile

I just realized when I resized that I didn't crop propperly... and my picture doesn't have a nice format...

Paul Cezanne

I know what you mean about cropping, but I do also think it works nicely as it is - It's still quite pleasing to MY eyes, anyway.

Jan

Thanks NN for your comment, I am very happy you found pleasing the crop Smile

Paul Cezanne

So (excuse me if this is a silly question) when you took these pictures, did you use the macro setting? or is the lens always macro?
Does using macro help to get the pictures sharper?

They are all very lovely, it looks like such a peaceful place.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I like #1 the best composition wise.

Nice images Irma. I too like the first for it's compisition.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Schellamo Wrote:So (excuse me if this is a silly question) when you took these pictures, did you use the macro setting? or is the lens always macro?
Does using macro help to get the pictures sharper?

It is not a silly question Schell...

The macro settings is just a program your camera has that gives you the best settings for a macro picture, but it will work anyway with or without a macro lens...

My camera was in manual mode and manual focus because my macro lens (90mm macro lens) the one I used to take these pictures is for a film camera and it doesn't talk to my digital... Eventhough If I had a macro lens for a digital camera, I wouldn't use the macro mode, since the picture I am taking is a landscape...

I am sure this is not the best explanation... but this is how I understand it...

I really don't know how the lens works to have your pictures that sharp... but what I understood from a reading was that prime lenses are the best to have sharp pictures... but again I really don't know why...

Thanks for your comments Toad, Petographer... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Okay, I'm understanding better now.
I've heard people refer to 'macro setting' and thought they meant on their lens, but obviously I misunderstood.

So really the fact that its a macro lens is incidental on these photos....ahhhh Smile

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

macro lenses come in different focal lengths, 55mm, 60mm, 90mm, 105mm or 200mm depending on the manufacturer. there are even zoom lenses with macro capabilities. to put it simply, all these lenses can be used as per normal primes or zooms, but when one wishes to take an extreme close-up or macro shot, these lenses are able to do it, while normal 55, 60, etc. lenses can't because they don't have this extra feature.

oh, btw, nice pictures Irma. i like the 1st and 3rd shots for their simple compositions.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Thanks patch for the explanation Smile I am looking forward to have better weather and take more test pictures... At the moment is so gray Sad

I am also very happy you like my pictures Smile

Paul Cezanne

Good for you Irma!
Am convinced even more that a 90mm macro is key breakthrough kit for a 1.6 digi user; OK, we have to scratch around at the wideangle end, but after that it's weeeeheee!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08