Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Railroad

heres another one but i think its missing something , dont know what it is please help ..

[Image: Railroad.jpg]

thanks for lookin ........... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

hi

yes the problems is that the sky is way to white and the reflection on the water from the sky...way to white

thats it !!! thanks for your help. I will try to crop it out or something . Thanks for your help .

Anything else?

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Flat. It is lacking punch. The lines are great. Maybe a tighter crop at the bottom just at the first pole.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I would suggest that it's missing a subject. It's a nice scene, and an interesting structure, but there's no focal point to it. I'd love a train or a person on the bridge, if that's possible. A day with a blue sky would add interest to the reflection as well.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I think a curves adjustment to bring out the colours more, as well as a tighter crop to help define your subject, which I see as being the wooden structure.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Drake:

Good start - what is going on with the diagnol cut on the lower left? - no detail at all. I suspecrt this is because you are using film and scanning...

If you have an original of this, try a different crop with less whitout on the lower left. This is good stuff - keep st it.

How about a squarish crop?

[Image: 48_Railroad.jpg]

Actually gang, this looks like Mr Overexposure..? The meter has tried to see a dark object as 18%grey, thus overexposing by 1 or 2 stops.
The same thing happens in many snow shots, by the way: the camera underexposes by trying to "even out" the exposure, hence grey snow!(Don't eat the grey snowBig Grin)
Jules has cropped nicely here.
I try(in my photos at least:/) to embrace "weakness" and turn it to strength: these swathes of white are a yummy paradise of compositional fun.
I've tried to use the photo's strong lines and inherently good texture/form thus:
[Image: zigged.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Great job ST , and Zig.

I guess i needed to speed the shutter up a little bit. I was tryin to get some sharpness too and seemed to have missed it.

I am going back there soon ( next day or two ) . I am going to make this one right , and going to take everyones ideas and use them Wink.

Thanks for the help ......... Shawn

This image looks to me like a typical candidate for an HDR (High Dynamic Range) picture. The difference in brightness between the sky and the dark areas under the bridge can't be handled by digital cameras and probably not by film either.

Mini-Howto: If you go there again and bring a tripod, try to make a series of identical shots with different shutterspeeds. The difference between the shots should be at least one f-stop. Try to go from -3 to +3, if you shoot on film then maybe even more. In Photoshop CS2 you can create an HDR image from these pictures (File - Automate - Merge to HDR). The result will be a 32bit picture. When converting this to 16 or 8 bit, you can tweak a few params to get the sky as well as the dark areas.

References:

Wikipedia: High dynamic range imaging,
Luminous Landscape HDR Tutorial

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

i will have to work on the post processing later . Right now i am trying ( and i do mean trying Wink, to get it on film first. I am trying to figure all this out before i learn PS . Not that there is anything wrong with PS , i just want to learn the camera first and then the computer . But i really thank you for your help and i am sure that it will work.

I am heading back out there today , and give it another go . And a few more shot too.

Thanks ........ Shawn