Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lantern

Thanks for your comments and advice Smile

[Image: _DSC0419-02HDRlantern.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Brings back a memory. I worked at a lighting/heating/cooking shop around 1954,and we had glass shades that shape, 122cm. diameter. Yes cm, not mm. They were for railway stations or similar.

I'm not sure wether I like it angled, or in B&W.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I treated this picture like this because I had a very cluttered background... I took it in the cemetery and it was the only one, and no chance to make any other composition... so I thought about rotating the image, and I composed it this way...

Thanks NT for your comment Smile

Paul Cezanne

I really like the treatment - and the tilted presentation something that I would not have thought of - but that I like a lot.

What processing have you done here? Diffuse glow? Poster edges?

Great work.

Great processing. At first I wasn't sure if the tilt was something I cared much for but I got to thinking that it does add to the overall photo.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks Toad for your comment... Here is what I did...

First I did an HDR image from one RAW thinking that it would give me a more vivid image... But as I had the idea of this post processing I tried it...

I used a gradiente to desaturate de image...
I sellected the lamp as it was very sharp and contrasting, so it was easy...
I worked the background with levels to make it lighter (midtones) and reduce the cluttered background.
I applied a hard contrast with brightness and contrast and then a soft focus treatment... with a blurred layer blended to overlay..
I was not quite sure with the soft focus but I think in this case fits well..

Here is the original picture....

[Image: _DSC0419-01lanternoriginal.jpg]

Here is the HDR image...

[Image: _DSC0419-02HDRcolorcrop.jpg]

Petographer... I think also that it is a nice try for composition... Smile
When I took the picture I knew already that it would be portrait or square...

Thanks for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

This program you are using makes such a huge difference. Also I must say, upon looking at this image again I like it very much. Good eye Irma. I cannot say enough about how your photographic and editing skills have skyrocketed.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Oh, you are so kind... Thanks a lot Colin... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I think most people here are facinated with this HDR technique - but may not really understand it - and may not want to come right out and ask.

How about a tutorial on HDR or providing a good link to a tutorial for the technique? The HDR version of this photo looks really good too, btw.

I really like the treatment - reminds me of wedding photos (which is a bit ironic since you say you took it in a cemetary!) Big Grin

hi Irma, I like the finish on your first shot I think it does a great job of removing the clutter as you said. I also like the straight HDR shot as well..............I have to say that I am not sure on the angle..........:/ I think its one of those grow on you Smile

Impressive PP Irma.... the lamp really comes into it's own as the focal point in my opinion. Looking at the originals my eye was drawn into the background a little, but the HDR is just beautiful Wink

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Mar 31, 2005, 22:38
Last Post by Kombisaurus
Mar 6, 2005, 09:40