Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Spiral squarecase.

The potted plant at the bottom of the spiral squarecase.
[Image: Chester%20trip.%20052.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Cool point of view. Great shot NT.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I think spiral staircases are the natural friends of photographers. The forms, recursion, and leading lines lend themselves to great pictures. To really put the icing on the cake, the lines need to lead to something. The potted plant is a good kick at that. The more dramatic the thing in the center the better the shot.

This photo should be in Showcase not in Snapshots, don't you think?

I like your picture a lot!! I never have had the opportunity to take pictures of stairs this way...

I also think it should be in showcase...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Making us look-for and focus-on the tiny plant is a neat trick.
This photo doesn't need it.

The light is interesting.
Since the camera's flash wasn't used, either you had some other light source or there's a skylight above you?
The level below you is darker, which makes it 'look' like flash was used.
Is there sunlight coming into the groundfloor through windows, or are we in an open parking garage?
1/6th second is a long exposure--did you use a tripod or just brace your Fuji on a railing?
Too many questions...sorry.

I know I would have tried to compose a shot like this more squarely, maybe with the railing below your position horizontal, but it's obvious from looking at this again and again that I would have been making a mistake.
It's so well balanced this way, looking real instead of posed.
Just so...right.
Thanks for the lesson.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Making us look-for and focus-on the tiny plant is a neat trick.
This photo doesn't need it.

The light is interesting.
Since the camera's flash wasn't used, either you had some other light source or there's a skylight above you?
The level below you is darker, which makes it 'look' like flash was used.
Is there sunlight coming into the groundfloor through windows, or are we in an open parking garage?
1/6th second is a long exposure--did you use a tripod or just brace your Fuji on a railing?
Too many questions...sorry.

I know I would have tried to compose a shot like this more squarely, maybe with the railing below your position horizontal, but it's obvious from looking at this again and again that I would have been making a mistake.
It's so well balanced this way, looking real instead of posed.
Just so...right.
Thanks for the lesson.
I am sure I could not teach you anything .
I never noticed the plant at the bottom when I took the shot. I thought it was rubbish. When I enlarged it later I saw the broken pot and polystyrene stuff.
The light comes in at each floor from one side, ( corner of a building ) and I try not to use flash as it is very harsh close up.
No tripod, just braced against the railing. Was it really a 1/6th? The fuji doesn't tell me anything whilst taking shots. It is a wonderful camera, but I am finding out it's limitations thanks to you guys and others in a different forum. I will post a shot of the building shortly.
I know what I want, but getting it how I want it, is the hard part. I have been back to places,10/20 times with no result. Maybe the shot is not there, just looks like it. Or maybe I have a lot to learn.:/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Toad Wrote:I think spiral staircases are the natural friends of photographers. The forms, recursion, and leading lines lend themselves to great pictures. To really put the icing on the cake, the lines need to lead to something. The potted plant is a good kick at that. The more dramatic the thing in the center the better the shot.

This photo should be in Showcase not in Snapshots, don't you think?
To Toad and Irma,
Since I got back into photography, I wander around looking up and down for interesting ideas and views.
I didn't think it was exceptional, just a bit different. Maybe I am trying to find a niche.
Thanks for the comments, glad you like it.

Lumix LX5.

The Piece Hall, Halifax,West Yorkshire, England.
Originally for merchants to show their pieces of cloth. Now it is all little shops on the different levels, some small some large. It is quite large with the courtyard in the centre. In the corners are the steps, under-cover but open to arches.
[Image: piecehall.jpg]
The band are Noisynoodle's Bavarian Oompah band, and probably on tuesday the French Marsellaise band Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

NT73This photo should be in Showcase not in Snapshots, don't you think?[/quote Wrote:To Toad and Irma,
Since I got back into photography, I wander around looking up and down for interesting ideas and views.
I didn't think it was exceptional, just a bit different. Maybe I am trying to find a niche.
Thanks for the comments, glad you like it.
Well - if I had to be sure that my photos were interesting ot exceptional, I would never post anything. We are always our own worst critics.

Nice title, and nice shot. I like the lines in the image... very appealing. I think with some minor PP it could be a stunner! Big Grin

This second one is great!! I like a lot the composition... The building is beautiful, very lovely place Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:This second one is great!! I like a lot the composition... The building is beautiful, very lovely place Smile
I went back today with the DZ5 and had fun.
I found myself a model but I was so nervous the camera shook. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.