Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Black and white

Spring has come, and I played with B/W conversion again, but am not to sure about the result, any suggestions?
Any comment appreciated!

Uli

[Image: IMG_6485%20BW.jpg]

The whites don't seem to quite "pop" to me, and the blacks don't seem totally black.

Love the image textures and composition though Smile

At first glance it looks like prawn crackers from the takeaway.
I think you should put back a little colour. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Yeah, it's quite far away from black and white. Looks a bit brownish to me.

All in all I think it is a nice artificial shot, though. Smile

I was just playing "spring shots" too............ Here's mine.

"Dont be Daff"

[Image: Dont-be-Daff-.jpg]

Cave canem

Personally I like the tones in your shot. It is the view of this particular flower I don't really care for. I'd like to see a more revealing view.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Rufus, what's your backdrop? It looks fantastic! (although a touch kitschy.... no offense :-))

wulinka Wrote:Rufus, what's your backdrop? It looks fantastic! (although a touch kitschy.... no offense :-))
Difference clouds?

I like your flower shot uli and I think it looks good in black and white. I like that you have a lot of detail in your highlights and shadow areas. I even like the brownish tinge.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

hi wulinka

i also like it, the only problem that i have is the background. I like the tones of brown but i think with a diferent background colour would be better. it is just flotting in the black.

thanks for sharing your work

The problem I find here is the angle of the picture... I agree with petographer that you need to show more of the flower, specially when the flower is not a commonly known... I mean, if I take just the core of a rose everybody will know it is a rose... but if I take the core of an exotic flower no one will know what it is... I personally thought it was a chili... sorry...

I find that you have nice texture and nothing is blown out... This is something I do care.. now... I don't know if tomorrow I will change my style, but at the moment I do care about not having anything blown out...

I love to work with sepia or b&w flowers... color flowers are a lot, b&w flowers are just a few... and beautiful ones fewer...

if I may I will give you a link to 1400 pictures of b&w flowers. I am sure you will find inspiration there... Wink

Keep trying... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

byrt_001 Wrote:i think with a diferent background colour would be better. it is just flotting in the black
What do you suggest? brighter, darker? effects?

Thanks for everybody's comments so far, and irma, thanks for the link!

uli

wulinka Wrote:Rufus, what's your backdrop? It looks fantastic! (although a touch kitschy.... no offense :-))
Mr Toad said: "Difference clouds?"

No it's hand done, blurry whorlly things. It was easy because the original background was flourescent and behaves like chromakey.

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:
Mr Toad said: "Difference clouds?"

No it's hand done, blurry whorlly things. It was easy because the original background was flourescent and behaves like chromakey.
Fair enough - it looks quite a bit like difference clouds - hence my mistake. Nice work.

Mr T, you've made me wonder now. Perhaps I can save loads of effort by investigating these difference clouds? I must look.

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Aug 2, 2020, 09:31
Last Post by MBS
Jul 13, 2016, 01:30