Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My model

I had taken a shot of a doorway, and the shop owner said come inside. I went in and there were three youngsters.
Two were drawing, and the girl just watching. She picked up the flower tub when I said my model (joking).
So I just took a few. The light was bad and I was nervous. Forgot everything.
I wish to know the best crop for the long shot.
The square type one was badly out of focus (the pots are good) so I patched up as best I could in PS. and deleted a couple of spots.
[Image: Where%20do%20I%20crop.jpg]
[Image: Model%202.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

hi

lol, she looks nice. looks like the background is in focus in number two. but i like the spontanious, surprise, candid, kind of shot/look.

what kind of shop was it? looks like a used book/coffee shop?

It is a community thing, like a creche for bored teenagers I think.
There were books, paints, glues, etc. for them to do things with. Art and posters on the walls.
The newspaper clipping above the girls head is of the Queen (in turqoise), when she visited the Piece Hall a few years ago.
The second one I have focused on the pots. It is a crop, of a shot between two people and I must have focussed on the middle bit. doh.
I do not even know her name, but she did not appear to be self concious of the camera. Maybe she will be there next visit. Smile
Should I crop the first one with her head about a third down, or clean up the wall and make it tighter.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Aside from the already known isuue of focus in both images, #1 has too much empty space above her head. More of the planter she is carying would have been nice. The natural lighting seems good in both. In #2 a greater dof would have been much nicer. The busy back ground takes away from her.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks Peto. I will take all these things on board.
I had a great one of the planter and she moved, so OOF subject.
It was all spontaneous stuff and nothing planned, so maybe that is where I went wrong.

Lumix LX5.

I like the first one. Focus is an issue, but that's a technical problem and is easily solved, so I'm not worried about it. What I like is the way you've framed her, and the space left around. Especially when coupled with the close portrait that follows, her diminutive appearance is quite engaging. I'd take a little off of the bottom, to get rid of that yellow cap, and clone out the paintbrush handle. (Yes, I know that this is the exact opposite of what Petographer suggested. What good would a critique be if it wasn't contradictory?)

It sounds like most of your difficulties are from low light and haste. Shooting people is hard, shooting strangers is harder. All I can suggest is relaxing, getting more comfortable with your subjects, and taking your time.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:I like the first one. Focus is an issue, but that's a technical problem and is easily solved, so I'm not worried about it. What I like is the way you've framed her, and the space left around. Especially when coupled with the close portrait that follows, her diminutive appearance is quite engaging. I'd take a little off of the bottom, to get rid of that yellow cap, and clone out the paintbrush handle. (Yes, I know that this is the exact opposite of what Petographer suggested. What good would a critique be if it wasn't contradictory?)

It sounds like most of your difficulties are from low light and haste. Shooting people is hard, shooting strangers is harder. All I can suggest is relaxing, getting more comfortable with your subjects, and taking your time.
I have been doing some PS ing and came up with this. But maybe this is the wrong forum now.

[Image: mod1.jpg]

Lumix LX5.

Wow, that is very cool indeed. You've done well. Big Grin

NT:

I don't think your model would like the retouched one. Her skin looks really blotchy in that version - where in reality her skin is very clear and nice.

The effect is cool - but portraits don' t play by the same rules as other photos because the subject is a live person.

Just my $.02

What disturbes me a little from the first one is the wall... the corner of the wall that looks slanted... but you can easily repair it in PS... I would crop the upper part and I'd go for a square format...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Toad, Yes it is blotchy, I altered the contrast and hue to finish with that. I have done a few different styles based on that crop. B&W as well, but I will show her them all, and then jump back waiting for the big hit. Ouch.:/

Irma, among other versions, I have just finished this one. I have only altered the background and put it in a frame.
[Image: Model%205.jpg]

Everyone else. Thank you all for your comments. This is the last of 'my model,' unless I get inspired new ones.

Lumix LX5.

hi

wooowww nt the last shot it is great what you have done, really simple and great work!!! im very impress!!

i agree with toad about the other one