Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Storm Gathers over Santa Barbara Mission.

Santa Barbara Mission - Click for larger Image.

[Image: normal_santa%20barbara%20mission%20church.jpg]

Take this with a grain of salt - I think there's not enough space on the left hand side... either that or panning slightly left would help a bit. I think the doorway should be in the bottom right third, and the steeple in the top left. Big Grin

Also, with the title, the storm doesn't look very stormy.

Eek, I'm sorry for the harsh critique... Rufus, what have you done?? :o:o:o Big Grin

I quite like the black and white shot Craig, I think it works with this building. I do find your watermark a bit distracting, maybe make the watermark black and white also so the bright yellow doesnt stand out.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

I like it Craig. I've spent two days coming back to this and I have to say, your sig is bothersome. I might even be inclined to remove the tree branches. The angle you chose may be a little tight but not a huge issue. All in all it is a good shot but I think you aare capable of better with the same subject matter.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I don't really have much new to add - but I do agree with some of what has been said to date. I think it needs a bit more space on the left and I find the signature block distracting.

I realize that one wants to prevent net piracy, but its my opinion that it is pretty easy to remove a signature anyway - it would take about 2 seconds for this shot - and it tends to degrade the viewing experience if it isn't subtle - just my $.02 - feel free to disregard.

All taken on board and agreed with Smile

I couldn't pan left any further, the mission gift shop is there and just doesn't look like it belongs.

ST: The storm is gathering... it ain't ready for it's close up yet Tongue

The original image.
[Image: sbmission%20small.jpg]

Nice work cloning out the people.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

EnglishBob, I find my eye drawn to the dark triangle intruding on the buttress, left side.

But I really like the photo overall, especially the color one.

It makes me wonder if, as the restoration work continues sporadically on San Antonio's four (non-Alamo) Missions will we ever see such polished and painted surfaces?
Ours are rather charmingly crusty and crumbly, with ample ruins to explore.
They are National Park sites with low priority, so preservation is the rule and they look their age.

I look forward to visiting them again under an interesting sky like your photo has.

Most of the California Missions are still active churches and as such are maintained and repaired as needed.

I really like the colours of the building too, it gives it quite a different feel to the B&W image.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

EnglishBob Wrote:Most of the California Missions are still active churches and as such are maintained and repaired as needed.
Ours are still active, too.
What kind of stone is that one made from?
The local limestone isn't very durable--maybe that's the difference.

I think the critique was done already, but just as a comment I would like to add that your B&W conversion is really nice... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The colour version is also very nice Craig.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Nov 21, 2016, 14:43