Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

no improvement

I feel like this is very similar to the magnolia I posted the other day, maybe I just don't know how to shoot white flowers. What is wrong with this? no contrast? too much white? ugly tones?
I know it's very tightly cropped, unfortunately I shot it as tight.

please be honest

[Image: white%20flower.JPG]

Thanks, Uli

White is difficult to get detail from. Perhaps it is a rather tight crop. A rule of thirds type crop with some back ground may have been more suitable. I do like this tone you used but I find that there is a lot of white flower consuming the photo. Maybe try some colour painting. Just a thought. I'll give it a go but I'm not very good at that type of thing. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Ok. All I did was paint a little colour to it and change the frame.

[Image: white%20flower.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Peto - nice job on the colour.

Uli - I think a such a tight crop doesn't work so well when there is not much detail to be seen. Personally I feel the background blurred nicely with some green folage (out of focus) would improve this dramatically.

But you have done an excellent job in capturing the what detail was there in the first place.

Canon stuff.

Peto, that helps!

not a picture I think to spend a whole lot of efford on anyway, might be easier to get a different shot. there were more white flowers surrounding this one, which is why I couldn't get a contrasting background....

uli

wulinka Wrote:Peto, that helps!

not a picture I think to spend a whole lot of efford on anyway, might be easier to get a different shot. there were more white flowers surrounding this one, which is why I couldn't get a contrasting background....

uli
Tip.
I got a piece of A4 card coloured medium blue and used that behind some flowers for contrast.
This you may or may not know already. Excuse me if you do. Because I make kites, I have a lot of coloured ripstop in all shades so I can cover a card with most colours.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:Tip.
I got a piece of A4 card coloured medium blue and used that behind some flowers for contrast.
This you may or may not know already. Excuse me if you do. Because I make kites, I have a lot of coloured ripstop in all shades so I can cover a card with most colours.
Great tip! If you do a lot of small things like flowers, a couple of small swatches of fabric won't take up too much room in the camera bag, and might save the shot!

Thanks for the tip NT!
I wonder how New Yorkers would react if I stuck colored cardboard into their front yards (which is where I got this picture), but the idea is great!

uli

A piece of card can also make a useful windbreak especially if macro is being applied

Daft as it sounds, some botanical snappers take along something like a shoebox with the inner sides covered in black velvet.
I know, uli, it sounds worse; presumably New Yorkers would, er, "waste its ass" with the house firearm.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

close enough guess, zig.......... :o

thanks for the tip anyway!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post