Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first shoot

...paid shoot that is Tongue

8 kids, 10 adults (including me), way too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak!

Here are some photos, I'd love some feedback as I learned that I don't work well under pressure!

[Image: 8x10-5img-ver.jpg]

[Image: 5x10-3img-hor2.jpg]

[Image: 5x10-3img-hor.jpg]

4. This is the main shot I needed to get, its for the grandparents birthday
[Image: IMG_5092.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5133.jpg]

it was quite stressful, having so many people, I don't know how some of you handle weddings! I need to learn to be more assertive I guess.
Anyway, comments anyone??

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

hi

there is a couple of things that i personaly do not like. But remember that i'm fussy...

shot1: the child on the left looks totally out, could have been better if he was in the middle next to the other boy.

shot2: i like the faces,

shot 3: the faces, very nice

shot4: the image looks like the people are falling becuase the way they were seated.

shot5: not bad....small distractions that are not worth mention.

overall not bad, small kids are a nightmare,

lastly, the colours are a bit to the blue, was your camera set to the right white balance? also was you lens clean? i can see some glow? have you done any processing to them?

Just remember that i'm fussy and I do not want to kill your passion for photography, i'm just pointing out some of the obvious mistakes. i hope you take my points in a constructive way.

No, I totally agree with your criticisms Byrt! I knew I totally flunked this one, luckily it was family, but I'm still not happy with a lot of the shots I did.

i think my lens must have had a smudge on it, because after the first 4 or so shots, they all seem to have that glow on the right hand side and I don't know what I was thinking, I seem to have backtracked somewhat, because alot of shots have motion blur as well. I usually shoot shutter priority, but because of the group shots, i think I switched to apeture priority. I dunno, I wasn't thinking I guess. I shot raw and set the white balance myself afterwards, they seemed okay to me, so it might be my monitor again...

Thanks for the feedback Christian!

Congrats on getting your first shoot Schell. Better you than me.........all those kids and parents, would not have been easy.

I agree with much of Byrts comments. I really like the very first shot and the use of the cubby house in the last is great!

Keep going I think that your first shoot would be the hardest.........it should get easier. Smile

Congratulations, Schellamo!
Great photos. I think I like no 2. the best.

lucy

Russ- Thanks, I'm hoping so, but I'm also hoping that I don't have to shoot 8 kids again for a loooong time!

Thanks Lucy Smile

Number 2 is really beautiful.

The problem with number 4 (apart from the slope of the ground) is the dappled light. Some cropping would help perhaps.

Christian's points were good.

Great to see you getting some paid work - I am sure they will be happy.

Canon stuff.

When I first saw #1 I thought the people looked very pasted in.. I'm guessing that's because there seems to be a large lack of focusing.

#3 - The three photos look pretty good together, and there seems to be more focusing. Nice.

#4 - This seems off-balance, and there's a bit of glare on the people to the right.. And I noticed you used selective focusing afterwards, a nice touch, but a bit odd for portraits..

#5 - The background seems a bit cluttered..and brightness to the left.

Other then these things they look pretty nice. Just a few of the little technical details that could be a bit nicer.. But still, props on getting your first paid shoot! Keep working and you can really improve your work!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by hoobaloo
May 7, 2013, 13:53