Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Memphis Tn. and a 20d and me

Well the trip went great. To be honest it wasnt much of a trip as i drive it everyday to work . I really didnt know what to think about Memphis before i really got to see the downtown area . All i can say is WOW what history it has in the music world and in the civil rights world. There is so much to see there. We spent a few hours walking early in the morning , then took a hour break , and then went back for a few more hours . This is the first thing that we have done for a while together .

Ok here are the first pictures with the new camera ( besides a few snaps just playing in the house ) . All of these are straight off the camera except for resizing . Please tell me what yall think about them.

1 [Image: Memphis%20012%20copy.jpg]

This is a statue ( sp ) of " The King " Elvis Presley . Yall might know that this is where he got his start . And they are big on him here .

2[Image: Memphis%20019%20copy.jpg]

Here is BB Kings bar ( well the sight to it ) . Rumor has it that he comes here and supprises everyone at times . But not this morning .

3[Image: Memphis%20038%20copy.jpg]

This is part of Beale Street . It was nice not to have to worry about a bunch of people in the shots . I have more but i kind of liked this one . Big Grin

4 [Image: Memphis%20050%20copy.jpg]

We couldnt get inside today ( they start tours later on but i will go the next time )

5 [Image: Memphis%20056%20copy.jpg]

We were waking up to the car to leave for a min. and i say my daughter taking a picture like this one so i thought i would " give it a go " . I liked the look of it

6 [Image: Memphis%20076%20copy.jpg]

Ok this is the Hotel that Dr . Martin Luther King was murderd . It is now the Civil Rights Museum. I have more pics .

7 [Image: Memphis%20067%20copy.jpg]

The wreath says it all . This is the spot where he was shot . I think it was room # 306 . Top floor / on the right .

8 [Image: Memphis%20073%20copy.jpg]

Dr. Kings Words ....

9 [Image: Memphis%20093%20copy.jpg]

another statue of Elvis .This was in doors no flash .

10[Image: Memphis%20096%20copy.jpg]

Here is another inside shot . This is BB King , i know that the lighting isnt great but i wasnt sure of what else to do . Big Grin

11 [Image: Memphis%20102%20copy.jpg]

we found a little critter . He/ She found it some chips and didnt want me to get to much closer than i got but .

12 [Image: Memphis%20134%20copy.jpg]

after a hot walk you know the kids had to play .

13[Image: Memphis%20137%20copy.jpg]

14 [Image: Memphis%20139%20copy.jpg]

All i can say is that I LOVE THE CAMERA . What a feeling taking 150 pictures and not having to wait for results. The great thing is that it is so similar to my 50e film camera . that it feels great in my hand , its heaveir than my film camera ( i think ) but I truely love it . Now i just have to get used to the digital thing and it will be much better .

Thanks for taken time to look at these . I know they arent the " best " shots but i was pretty pleased with some of them. I have held off on a few cuz i want to work on them some and i will be posting them soon .

please comment like these are in the critique area . Thats how i learn .

thanks .......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

C'mon, man, we wanna hear about the ribs at Interstate BBQ! And the ducks at The Peabody!
Wink

Fun pics; brings back memories.

Well, well, the Drake goes digital. Very nice clean, crisp, sharp photos. My fav would be the sign of BB's club. The 3rd fountain shot has great depth of field. Can't wait to see more work.

slejhamer Wrote:C'mon, man, we wanna hear about the ribs at Interstate BBQ! And the ducks at The Peabody!
Wink

Fun pics; brings back memories.
Memphis has BBQ ? Big Grin . You know the funny thing is , our fav BBQ is right here in this little town we live in . My wife and oldest daughter do not not like BBQ but they love the one here in town . We had burgers for lunch Big GrinBig Grin . The next trip we will go see the ducks at the Peabody .

Toad Wrote
Quote:Well, well, the Drake goes digital. Very nice clean, crisp, sharp photos. My fav would be the sign of BB's club. The 3rd fountain shot has great depth of field. Can't wait to see more work.
Thanks so much . I know they arent as sharp as yours yet . But they are better than the scanned ones huh ? And the BB sign is one of my favs from the day too .

........ Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

All wonderful, as I said in the other thread. It may be 'everyday stuff' to you lot across the pond but it's very interesting to the likes of me, who is never likely to visit these places for real. Also much nicer to see these places through the eyes of 'the man in the street' instead of the 'official' photos we see/saw in the media.

Pol

Thanks Polly ,
I am really glad you like them . I will have more of the area that i live in . I love old buildings , but i think that Memphis has much more to offer than just old buildings . I plan on shooting some of The Mississippi River which i wasnt able to get ( due to the time of day i got there ) .

Thanks again ........... Shawn

Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures Shawn. Smile

The place looks really interesting... and your captures are great!

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

My next door neighbours wife is a dedicated Elvis fan. She has been over to Gracelands, at least three times to my knowledge in the last five years. Unfortunately she has knocked the PC off the internet, so I can't e-mail and my printer is playing up in the heat. She would have loved those. Maybe I will invite her round. he he. Come and see my etchings.
Ok! #1 looks a little pale. All the rest are fine.
And the little critter...What are they called? I seem to remember somewhere a masked something or other.
It looks pretty tame.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Good sereis BD, as Polly said..........interesting and good see from your point of view.

The water looks like fun!

I bet your lovin the new camera!! Big Grin

Thanks Irma, NT73 and Russt

NT , them little criters are called Racoons , and no they arent tame at all . THey are very mean , but this one was young and prob. used to seeing people all the time . But the closer i got it got very nervous . And i have ot say i was pretty nervous too Big Grin.

Yes Russt i am loving the camera very much . I sit here and think about what i want to go shoot next . The problem is it is VERY HOT and the sun has been very bright too. When i say hot i mean it has hit 100 deg . f . a lot . I dont know what that is in C ( sorry ) ...

Irma , it is a interesting place . the only problem in the morning is all the homeless people begging for money . Thought i was going to have to get loud a few times LOL . But it does have some nice areas too. THere is a art district that i want to go to , the next time i go there i am going to wait til the evening and see what its like all lit up .

Shawn - great to see you enjoying the new camera. I particularly liked number three. Very nice composition.

I also enjoyed the Martin Luther King stuff - I like historical stuff like that.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Jun 1, 2008, 05:25
Last Post by Banded Drake
Nov 6, 2006, 19:23