Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rock farm

hi all,

this is another shot from my trip down south..........

it was taken just off the hwy between Cooma and Berridale some interesting rocks in the paddocks. I think the area is called rocky plains Rolleyes .....I wish I had more time and was there a bit earlier..... but I did get this one that I don't mind.

I am posting this in both colour and b&w..........I tend to go with the b&w but I am sure others might like the colour best

C&C welcome

[Image: rockfarm.jpg]

[Image: rockfarm%20bw.jpg]

In this case I like more the color picture than the BW version... The colors you have in the sky are really nice... Beautiful picture Russ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The color for me too.

I think this shot really gives a sense of the lanscape - even though it is in deep shadow. Less is sometimes more.

thanks Irma and Toad, for your thoughts.......Smile

I agree that the colour is a big part of the shot..........I really like the tones and gradients you get converting to b&w shots taken at that time of day....

Toad the forground is a little dark.......it is interesting trying to balance the exposure and flare shooting into the sun

cheers

I agree with the others on the colour. The sky has a nice glow to it.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Russt Wrote:Toad the forground is a little dark.......it is interesting trying to balance the exposure and flare shooting into the sun
For this kind of shot - I have been using RAW exposures and HDR - I rather dislike the normal HDR shots you see online, but for a subtle enhancement of the foreground, it works a charm.... This particular shot doesn't need it I think.

Russ, once again I like the coloured one - did you get up to the high country? that's where we are heading in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

thanks Peto

Quote:Less is sometimes more.
Toad........I agree I am pretty happy with it as it is. I did think about hdr for a little more shadow recovery.........

Pat, looks like the colour is one lol cheers......... I went as far as Jindabyne, if your heading up that way you will see all the rocks before Berridale....BTW I like the new kit your getting!! good choice!!

In this case you could get a bit more detail in the shadows... if you convert your image to 32bit and then back to 8bit... you can work a subtle tone mapping and get detail... In order to get the same color in the sky... you can take a copy of the original on top and work a round selecction kind of ellipse in the foreground with the laso feather 50 more or less and clean it... The sky will be the same as the original and you just lit the shady place...

Something like this...

[Image: rockfarmirma.jpg]

Still I am in two minds about which one looks better...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I know this might supprise you but i like the color on better also. Big Grin

...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Another vote for the colour and I think Irma's edit has improved the darker details.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Great retouching work, Irma.

cheers for the input Smarti and BD.....

BD I thought I would at least get you with the b&w..........Big Grin Big Grin maybe sepia Big Grin Big Grin

Irma, thanks for taking the time to tone map etc the pic........it does do a good job of shadow recovery. I still need to spend more time learning that.........I think it has added to the shot.......much appreciated

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 10, 2016, 04:22
Last Post by WesMal
Apr 16, 2016, 15:41
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 13, 2016, 12:40