Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sepia Rose

I was playing around with this shot . I have seen a few sepia flowers and thought i would give it a try . Please tell me what yall think.

#1 [Image: Sepia%20web.jpg]

#2 [Image: Rose%20Stem%20web.jpg]

thanks for looking ..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Nice work Shawn. Your processing to sepia looks very good. You have exposed it well to get a good range of tones within the petals of the rose. I prefer the second shot, the stem and leaves make it a more appealing composition but do not distract from the brighter tones of the rose.

My only suggestion would be to keep looking for the perfect rose. This one appears to be just past its prime.
What colour was the rose?
Shane

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

The problem I see in your pictures is that they lack a bit of contrast...

My suggestion would be something like this.....

[Image: Sepiaroseweb.jpg]

Sharpen a bit, and then brightness/contrast...flatten the image duplicate and bend to soft light opacitiy your liking...

Edit...
forgot to say... it would be great if you get a bit of texture in the petals...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Shane and Irma ,

Shane i know what you mean about the perfect rose , i just cant seem to find one LOL . The rose is a pale yellow .

Irma i always have a problem with contrast but the only way i know how to correct it is in PS . What else can i do whils i am shootin, or do i just need to do it on PS ? I love your edit i think i will go back to the drawing board and see what i can come up with .

...... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I am afraid of giving you wrong information about this Shawn ... When I work with flowers like the picture you took I normally take my pictures in manual mode... so I can work the contrast light/shadows as I want them... but you are right contrast is something that one always correct in PS...

I also forgot to say that I have seen pictures of withered flowers and they are beautiful... dry petals almost always have wonderful texture... but it is more difficult to get a good picture of a withered flower than of a fresh flower... I think...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Irma , this is one of those " play " shots . Nothing serious just trying to get something . I am just getting confortable shooting fully manual . Thanks for your input and ill keep tryin. See the new thread . I know it still needs some work but i like it much better ,

..... Shawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jannasc
Sep 27, 2014, 02:56
Last Post by Vik
Aug 27, 2014, 14:59
Last Post by LizBarnes
Oct 21, 2013, 09:44