Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3D Night Photo

My latest photographic genre to explore has been single-camera stereo photography.
To do this you take an exposure and then move the camera a few inches (or feet for landscapes) to the side and take another.

Then the two are carefully cropped and aligned, with the left and right images swapped.

To view, look in between the two and cross your eyes until they merge in the middle, for a true 3-Dimensional experience of the original scene.

I made this one last weekend, and it caused my 3D Photoblog's hit counter to skyrocket.

[Image: kak.3d.jpg]

Please let me know if you can "see" crosseyed 3D like this, and if you would enjoy seeing more bookmark the link above.
The precision required both in shooting these and in the editing, as well as the difficulty of finding subjects that are worthy of using this technique make it a challenging yet rewarding type of photography.
And one that has been around since the dawn of print making.

g'day Keith,

I have seen few of these done on the net..............I have to say this is one of the best I have seen yet. I love the over head branches and the depth is very good!!!!

very well done

I am inspired

I wish I could see the effect - but have not been able to so far...

I can't see it too... although I can never get these 3D images. I think it's because one of my eyes is short sighted, more than the other. Big Grin

I agree with Russ one of the best I have seen... Great picture... Love the effect and the brick wall..

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Russt and Irma, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

It's discouraging how few people seem able to see these.
I'm starting to think they aren't worth the trouble, as only a few of my friends can see them.
And the only guaranteed way for everyone to 'get' the effect involves the viewer owning special equipment (expensive) so that's out of the question.

Oh well...

Lovely picture, pity I cant ever seem to see the 3D effect much as I have tried. :/

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Keith, I think they are worthwhile doing if you enjoy doing it..........I always enjoy checking these out

What I do to see the effect is open pics in a new window, look at both pics slowly go cross-eyed until you have three pics on the screen.........then looking at the one in the middle relax your eyes and enjoy the 3D effect.

keep trying.........hope that helps Smile

When I do my usual eye-merging trick on this the 3-D effect looks reversed (background closer than foreground). It looks like I would have to swap the photos.

[Image: threedee2.jpg]

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Don, you must be used to the "Parallel Viewing" style that's also somewhat popular.
In that case, the left camera image is put on the left side of the composite, as you did here.
It's similar to the "Magic Pictures" that were popular a few years back, where if you stared off into the distance a poster of meaningless repetitive patterns would resolve itself into 3D outlines and shapes.

Hmmm...
Can anyone else see 3D from Don's L/R swap edit?
I can't, but I've become much too conditioned to crossing my eyes versus letting them go into the so-called "1000 yard stare".

Thanks for doing this for me, Don.

I tried but it is a bit more difficult... and not that clear as yours... the other thing with Don's is that it doesn't have that space between both pictures and I think you need that room to cross your eyes easier..

BTW, I think Russ gives a good point in his explanation when he said you have to relax your eyes to do it and cross your eyes little by little until you focus the third picture in the middle of both... as if you working with manual focus... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Yes - Don's works for me straight away. I used to be really into those 3D things Smile

Canon stuff.