Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Little Hawk

I'm posting this as a snap because it was spur of the moment. From time to time something would fly, hop, run or crawl through the back yard unexpectedly. Usually what happens is I'll be sitting at the computer and the wifey is at the kitchen table on the notebook when she see's something through the patio doors from the kitchen. She'll call for me to come see quickly and Brittany will come running and scare whatever it was away and ruin my chance to get a photo let alone see what it was. This time the camera was sitting in the case on the floor beside me and I made sure to tell the dog to stay. I had time to put the 70-300mm lens on and snap off 4 shots from approx 35-40 ft away before she flew. Unfortunately the patio door was dirty but a levels adjustment helped.

[Image: hawk-002.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Standing so tall and straight - he almost looks like one of the phony owls you see people put on their roofs to scare away pigeons (and that are usually covered with pigeon dung...).

I saw your picture in the morning but I did't comment as my monitor was still dark, then I forgot.
This hawk is very beautiful Colin. I am amazed how close they come to your home. The detail of the feathers is great!! He chose a lovely background for the picture... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Toad and Irma. I know Rob is aware but I'll say for Irma's sake, these guys are very common around here. Eagles, Heron and Hawks. You can usually see one at any given time in a fieded area. My wife feeds the bird in our yard and in the mornings sometimes we'll have 10 Stellar Jays. It's all pretty cool. Smile

My flickr images

How cool is that having these in your back garden! I live about 10 miles outside of London and very occasionally we get a sparrow hawk flying around but never that close. Great shot by the way I love birds of prey.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Nice capture Peto. He looks like he is eying something on the ground.

Canon stuff.

Nice capture. Cool to have these kind of birds around.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Thanks Fella's. Ya, he was looking at the smaller chickadee's. I doubt there would have been a mouse. Too cold right now to see them above ground outside. Even the moles stay put til spring. Then you start seeing dirt mounds all over the yard. Little buggers. Big Grin

My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rolf
May 2, 2015, 10:02
Last Post by EdMak
Mar 2, 2015, 04:46
Last Post by Rolf
Jan 29, 2015, 17:44