Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stephie

Today, I had the grate opportunity to take pictures of this girl at home. I worked with the studio flash I have and a reflector, but I think I don't know how to do it well... Anyway, I took my new flash and I took them just with it.

As a backdrop I used an old black fabric unfortunately not so large, so I couldn't work more poses... I am already thinking about getting a larger one Wink

I am not familiar with portraits and artifitial lighting. If you had any advice or critique on these pictures I really would appreciate it much.

[Image: IMG_0873-01.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0880-01.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0945-01.jpg]

Swantie came a long to see how everything was going on with her cousing pictures, and I invited her to pose with Stephie. Here are two pictures that more or less resume what I got.

[Image: IMG_0981-01.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0960-01.jpg]

Btw, the picture is 800x533px more or less you might like to click on the picture to see it bigger.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

great series of shots Irma, you should be happy with the results.

I really like the first for light but the last shot as a fav,

the lighting "might" be a little flat though .......sorry I can not offer any advice on that, looking ot learn.

again well done

Very nice work Irma I like #'s 1,3 & 5 best but they're all very good photography.

Rene

To be heard, you must be seen.

I think you've done well with the lighting Irma. I always find lighting a challenge....
The dark background has worked well. The lighting in the second and last shot seems to so best skin tones and are both composed well.
Shane

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Thanks for your comments Smile

Here is another one with different lighting.

[Image: IMG_0825-01.jpg]

Still a lot to learn I think...

Paul Cezanne

I think you did a nice job Irma , i like the second one .

Studio lighting is tougher than most think. One thing that you might want to try next time is put your main light behind the subjects head ( at a downward angle ) and try to reflect light back on her face . This will seperate her more from the background . Lighting can be very fun , and one light can be more fun.

I think you did a great job .

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Very nice series Irma!

I am wondering what lense you used, it looks like around 50mm or shorter?
Personally I think that for a close shot like #4 a longer lense would have been more flattering, it's a nice and intimate pose!

Uli

Thanks so much Shawn for your advice. I didn't want to lighten the backdrop since it was looking faded and old. I was indeed an old fabric, Sad in some pictures I had to burnt a lot the background not to see it pale.... Sad I am looking already for a backdrop and those things to hang it, for these ocasions. I have seen one for 9 euro per meter, I think that one will do, then I will place my lights as you say... Smile

Uli,
Thanks for your comment.
I took the pictures with a 24-105mm. I know #4 is not the best but I like it because of Stephie eyes to Swantie... I tried with a 50mm but I wasn't happy. I don't have a portrait lens, unfortunately, because the one I like I can't afford it at the moment. (The canon 85mm. 1.2) So I will wait and maybe in six months or so I can buy it. Let's see.

Paul Cezanne

Beautiful portrait series Irma, 3 & 5 are my favourites. You must be very pleased with them....

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Thanks so much Sharon for your kind words about my pictures... Smile

Paul Cezanne