Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Carousel At Night

Here we call them a MerryGoRound, or a Carousel.
It had the standard horses and benches but no brass ring dispenser.

Please educate me--what are they called in your country?
(A Yes song comes to mind...)

Because it was so well-lit I couldn't use a very long exposure.
Had I gotten there maybe ten minutes sooner the sky would have had that rich blue I love to catch at dusk, but capturing the people sharply was it's own reward.

At the Rodeo on Thursday I was fortunate that the usual post-9/11 hysteria had been suspended.
No bag searches or even a "Pro" camera prohibition at the concert.
I brought in a small (and very crappy) old tripod clipped to my camera bag for the singular purpose of taking long exposures of the rides in the carnival section, and I'm glad I did.
Due to it's small size and frail nature I didn't even try to extend it beyond a half-meter above the ground, but that was the perfect height for this photo in my opinion.

Please click on it for the full 800x600 pixel version
[Image: kak.carousel.jpg]

I love your image - I took the liberty of cropping it - I think it's a real winner!

Hope you don't mind.

[Image: mgr.jpg]

The low angle works perfectly - Just like from an approaching childs viewpoint.

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

great shot Keith, I agree with Ray........its a winner. btw like the crop too.

Merry go round here in OZ

This is great, The people are so sharp yet there is so much movement and dynamic to the carousel (or merry go round in the UK). Nice one.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

This is a beautiful picture, Keith. I like a lot the light and the sharp people looking... The crop helps to the symmetry and the perspective I think.

In Mexico we call it carrusel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Superb photo - I love the motion of the 'go-round and the stillness of the watchers. The cowboy makes the shot.

It is a great shot. As you said, twilight would have been nice but this is still very good.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I really like this shot , great job ...

...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Simply great!

Great job.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Ditto, ditto - great shot Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Terrific shot, agree the cowboy makes it.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

I should have asked this before , but do you mind sharring the setting ? just courious how the people are so sharp . Thanks

.......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

The sharpness of the peolple really help make this shot work - great job.

Canon stuff.

One second @ f8, iso100

I tried a longer one but the lights on the carousel blurred into a solid mass, so I shortened it enough to get some separation.
The people were watching their family members, but didn't seem to be following the rotation with their heads to my good fortune.

A third photo has the cowboy facing me.
Would it ruin the story if I told you he's about 10 years old?

KeithAlanK Wrote:Would it ruin the story if I told you he's about 10 years old?
I wish you hadn't told me that...

Sorry, Toad.

But a careful look at the height of the stroller/pram and the woman on the right should have told this part of the story.
Parents with the little ones were on the ride, with "big" brother guarding their belongings.
I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned yet.

I also don't agree with the Bishop's crop.
I included the shape of the right edge of the carousel on purpose because it's interesting, and choosing a crop point beyond that wasn't easy. I liked having the woman on the right side a little further into the frame.
My version may not be everyone's favorite, but it's how I saw the scene as far as including other rides in a complete carnival instead of one single ride that's alone in the dark.
The difference is very minor, but the symetrical crop is one that I considered and rejected in regards to how I wanted to tell the story.

I hope this example gave someone a useful baseline idea for their future photos of moving objects at night.
It only takes a minute to try several exposure combinations and find one that works, provided your subjects are as cooperative as mine turned out to be.
Self-lit subjects are far different from night photos that rely on distant ambient light, and movement compounds the difficulties.
Shorter exposures are needed in situations like this, but the chance that you'll capture sharp people is increased.

Useful tips I can offer is that choosing the appropriate white-balance setting is extremely important, as is over-exposing by up to +2EV at night (or even more sometimes) as most cameras won't meter a scene correctly with so many bright lights shining straight down into the lens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Feb 10, 2017, 17:01
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Oct 27, 2014, 08:46