Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Leaves BW

I like a lot to take pictures of leaves. As I am in my BW mode, I gave this a try. Sometimes I ask G his opinion about my pictures and I am more confident to post them. In this case, he doesn't like this kind of pictures so, I don't have much feedback from him.

I really appreciate any comment about this subject.

[Image: IMG_3863-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3865-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much in advance... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I think you had beautiful light when you took these pics, looks like an autumn evening almost.

In reality it's spring of couse and these will be young leaves in a fresh green, and for me the color
would be substantial part of the content of this picture.
I am sure you can have beautiful black and white pictures even of leaves, but in this case I don't find them particulartly strong, to be honest.
the background, rather than add to the picture or emphasize the light, color, or freshness of the leaves, is rather distracting, the dark lines of the twigs in the back are just too strong.

I think I can see what you were getting at with your framing in no. 2, but the separation of the leaves from the background is just not good enough. It doesn't help that some of the leaves in the foreground have shadows on them, for example at the bottom right of the twig, so that they disappear into the background and your object appears frayed (ausgefranst).

Personally, I would try these things>

- Try to find a frame with a more homogenous background, that in its luminosity is clearly different from your leaves.
If you want to use the foliage or twigs in the background, make sure they give a pleasant pattern that supports rather than distracts from you foreground.

- Get a little closer, or crop tightly, to avoid the distraction of a non-homogenous (unruhig is what we say in German) background.

- Avoid shadows on your foreground leaves, pick a group that are all nicely illuminated. Especially in BW the shadows are really distracting, as the color as unifying element for your objects falls away.

I hope you don't mind my critique, your idea is certainly worthwhile persuing!

uli

I also thought they were young leaves and pale green. In B/W they look silver, almost metallic. but I think they need a dark background.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Yes they are geen-yellow new leaves.

Thanks NT for the idea of the background! Smile

Uli, thanks so much for your comment and advice. I really appareciate it much... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Plantsman
Nov 24, 2014, 12:59
Last Post by MrB
Nov 24, 2014, 12:15
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Oct 23, 2014, 05:20