Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Hockey

Ok so i put these in showcase only because i am really starting to see the improvement . I still have some issues i know but i can see them getting better . As always any C/C is welcome ...

I know its penality but WOW !!

1 [Image: _MG_0828%20copy.jpg]

A missed call , his glove was " hooked " off ..

2 [Image: _MG_1085%20copy.jpg]

Ive been working on trying to get some " checks " and i seem to be getting them fairly reagular now ..

3[Image: _MG_0668%20copy.jpg]

This is one of my favorite hockey shots so far .

4 [Image: _MG_1330%20copy.jpg]

Thanks for all yalls help and i look foward to seeing what yall have to say about these ! .

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Great action, Drake. These are really coming along. Exposures and WB also great improved. Are you selling any of these?

Great Shawn - as Toad said the white balance and exposure is looking much closer now. Did you shoot RAW?

Canon stuff.

Yes, even better: number 4 is excellent...how's about brushing out that stick, bottom right...?
Chris beat me to the raw question. Maybe lower contrast at raw conversion stage, build up saturation afterwards, then dial down and/or lighten yellows?
You seem to have really developed your eye for anticipating the action here: I really admire your tenacity Shawn.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Excellent pictures Shawn... Smile
Yes, I like a lot #4 but the other ones are also really nice...

This time you were in a different place??
I can see more people in the public... I just smiled when I saw the lady in #3.... the action in front of her and she looks so relaxed and a lot of people with close eyes!! ... Smile as if they were sleeping.... Big Grin

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Yall ,

Toad , I havent tried to sell any of these to anyone , and to be honest i dont think i am allowed . My buddy is under contract with them and i am working with him so im kind of on shaky ground . To be honest i am shooting just to learn more and see what happens with them next season . I might be able to pick up a contract through them also .

Ws , the only shot that is in RAW is #2 , the rest are in jpeg . I am still trying to see if it is justified to me to shoot in RAW and so far i the jury is still out . I did shoot different though , i shot in AV and exposure comp +2/3 to +1 . Then in post pros all i really do is adjust the contrast and more magenta and somtimes the blues and a little bit of red . Thats about all .

I know yall are shakin your heads about the RAW thing but as soon as i feel like i " need " it i switch to it .

Zig , thanks . Before i print #4 i will get rid of the stick , but i will keep it on there when i turn it into my " boss " . I have a hard time "manipulating" shots that i am turning in as photo journalistic . If they use it on anything they will remove it Wink i am sure .
I also find myself being more patient while shooting , not rushing my shots so i am getting more keepers , almost doubling my amounts .
Irma , i didnt notice there faces until you pointed it out and it made me laugh also . When they hit the wall it is very loud and i wonder if everyone was blinking at the sametime from the " crash " Big Grin.
When i shoot through the glass there are plenty of times that i jump for the puck hitting the boards and from the people hitting it also LOL .

Thanks for all the feedback ...... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Shawn, these are really good. I'm learning a lot by watching your results.

What software do you use to manage your images? (I'm about to suggest Lightroom if you aren't using it.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I am using CS3 , i havent had the chance to play with Lightroom yet and would love to hear the advantages of using it vs. CS3 . Mind you i am still learning about cs3 so it would be hard for me to compare ..

Thanks for your compliment , i am glad that you are learning from me i feel honored ...

...... Shawn

I can't wait to see where you go from here. Your sense of timing is getting very sharp.

The difference between CS3/Bridge and Lightroom:

Bridge is a file browser with some integration into Photoshop. Photoshop starts with a raw conversion or pixel-based image, and ends with saving the changes to an individual image. It's a powerful program that can do anything anyone can imagine.

Lightroom is a Digital Asset Management program thats designed for sorting and cataloging hundreds and thousands of images. (While it gives a good front-end for ACR to convert raw images, it also works with jpegs.) It's built to allow easy ranking and keywording of photos, backup, retrieval, and batch processing.

I own and use both, but LR alone takes care of 95% of my personal images, and 50-75% of my work ones. And even for the images that I use photoshop for, they stay within Lightroom's management structure and I use LR for printing or resizing the finished image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Shawn, anything new on the Hockey front? I'd love to see anything new that you have, and hear your current thoughts on camera settings, composition, and action.

I'm photographing my future-godson's game on Saturday, and I'm fighting the urge to bring every lens I own. (Probably a losing battle.) He's only twelve-ish, so I won't face the same speed and challenges that you have, but you've set the bar pretty high.

And I'll be shooting raw+jpeg. Tongue

Sorry Matthew i havent shot any hockey in 2 weeks Sad . They were on the road playing . I do have a game tomorrow night but that will be to late to help you any.
I can tell you that you will have a hard time with the lighting , dont be afraid to push that camera to its limits , i shoot in AV mode , the only reason i dont shoot manual is the lighting changes from center ice ( brightest ) to the corners ( darkest area ) and im just not fast enough to change settings . Also center focus in AI servo , then its just playing , i usually shoot +1 stop exposure . I think youll find that if you wait for the action to come to you then youll have better success . Shooting raw+jpeg maybe waisted space , i dont think youll need jpeg , raw will be best for you it .
You will do great , and prob teach me more than i can teach you LOL . Let us know how you did , and teach me LOL..

......... Shawn

Great stuff Shawn.
You say you don't think you are allowed to sell. The only way you are going to find out is by asking.
I am sure you can do it in a polite way, that won't offend the other guy.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little nervous, as this is the first time I'm shooting hockey, first time using C-AF on my new camera, and the first time I'm meeting my GF's friend and friend's son. There's a lot riding on this. And for added excitement, the reason why I'm shooting raw+jpg is that I'm going to be burning a CD to leave with mother and child. (I may delete some of the complete duds before I burn the disk, though.)

I've packed lots of everything consumable -- three four-gig cards, three two-gig cards, and four batteries. (I'm also visiting in-laws with a 1-year-old the next day.) In 35mm-equivalents, I'm carrying three lenses that give me continuous coverage from 14mm to 400mm, plus a 1.4tc to bring it to 566mm at f/5. Still in 35mm terms, I'm also carrying a 100 f/2.0 and a 70-200 f/2.0 with both a large petal hood and a rubber hood in case I can find a clean piece of glass. If I can't get any decent shots, at least I know where the blame lies. Big Grin

Banded Drake Wrote:You will do great , and prob teach me more than i can teach you LOL .
BD, I'm only just back and importing the first batch of photos, but I can already say that I have tremendous respect for the job you do and the photos you're getting. I am a LONG way from teaching anything. I always thought your shots were great, but know I have a much better idea of just how good you need to be to get them.

Thanks Matthew ,

It is a tough shoot but its also fun ! I am sure you arent giving yourself enough credit . I cant wait to see what you got .

......... Shawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post