Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What are you doing with the planet?

With the idea of saving our planet, lots of people have been doing supported posters and pictures. I wanted to try with this one.

Here are some pros and cons I find.

Cons: It is a bit soft, and the contrast is a bit hard, I have lots of distractions in the background, and his hand in the foreground is totally out of focus...

Pros: I like the expression and pose that somehow support the theme, idea.....

What do you think? Does it work? is there anything I could do to improve it?

[Image: IMG_0660-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much for any advice comment .... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hey Irma, that's great! I really like his expression, as you said.

Just a comment - the earth is obviously shopped, so that's where people will look first and will be most critical of. For that reason, I think something to do with the sharpness of the globe (i.e. in focus / bluriness , compared with the hands) doesn't look quite right to me...

Or maybe it does? Hm... can't decide now... Big Grin

Thanks very much Jules for your comment...

Great that you also think that his expression supports the theme...Smile

I think you have a very good point with the sharpness of the planet. I blurred the edges to blend a bit but if I make it look a bit out of focus as his hand maybe it looks more realistic?

I'll try after decorating my tree .... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Select a crescent moon shape on the earth at the back. Leave that in focus and blur the rest with feathering.

So that the front is OOF along with his hand.

And then try flames coming from his hand...(Global warming) and smoke from the globe.:/

The title is very in keeping with the theme.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Irma, I like the idea, but this seems like something that could be done better by actually setting up the photo with a globe. The photoshop combination comes across as an afterthought. It might be interesting to add on to the idea, and make it into a series where the whole point is the photoshopped addition of the earth in compromising and threatening situations -- the careless running child, but also in the road in front of traffic, in a jumble of rubbish, or other situations that speak to the themes of waste, danger, or neglect.

None of which is particularly helpful, I know....

In this photo the child's hands look like they have motion blur; his face and body are sharp. (Perhaps they're blurred because he's dropping it? The globe doesn't look large enough to fill his arms.) You may need to decide how quickly the globe would be moving to be able to add a realistic amount of blur.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

NT, I like your idea about global warming. I don't know yet if I could make flames and smokes.... Smile

Matt, I think I got your idea of placing the kid in another environment. Good point about the size of the globe, I will try making it bigger. I have looked up in my pictures and I don't have any suitable picture, just have one of the forest with chopped down trees. I will start by working on the size of the globe, and removing the background. Let's see if I can get a good picture for the bg by then.... Smile

I think this will be a long term proyect anyway, so I will be working on this picture and your ideas and show it to you when I have something new... Smile

Thanks a lot Matt, NT for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Have moved the world away from body, is this better?
John[Image: IMG_0660-Edit%20copy.jpg]

I like very much the idea, John. I haven't worked on this project for a while... Time to give it another go... Wink

Paul Cezanne

Hey Irma,

I'm a bit late on this,
but I wanted to say that I liked the background for a reason: the green and blue colors go well with the globe.

Of course his expression is great and I doubt you would get a kid to pose like this in reality. I agree with
the others on the sharpness issue of the globe, if you could adjust it to fit rather between the sharpness of the little boys right and left hand, it would look great!

Uli

Thanks Uli for your comment. I left this picture alone since I didn't have any other picture to use as background...
I will work with the sharpness of the globe too... Smile

Saludos...

Paul Cezanne

I can see why this image is worth persevering with: the kid's expression works so well...sort of angry, chaotic, specifically concerned. In fact, I also think the heavy contrast adds a nice comment. I'm also wondering if there's any other thing he could be carrying instead of the globe, to suggest the same message..?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks Zig for your comment and idea... Smile

Actually he was carrying his ball... and the expression was because everybody was busy and he wanted to play. I promissed to play with him, so we went to the garden, when he saw me with the camera he was a bit frustrated and complained. What's going on? You said we would play...

Here is the original image without any retouch.

[Image: IMG_0660color.jpg]

Do you think the original image would deliver the idea along with the title?

Paul Cezanne

Aha!
Got me thinking....how about keeping the child and the ball BUT changing the background...?...or even doing a montage as a background(do you remember Toad's layered composite imaginary landscapes?). I'm fascinated with this and looking forward to where this goes!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08