Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beijing

Well we are back and suffering from asian flu. Rolleyes I have just sorted a few out, and I will have to resize again as they are showing as too large.
Anyway what will go so far.

Traffic. This is rush hour and everyone seems to just push in, until someone chickens out. Ha.
[Image: traffic.jpg]

Bicycles...Everyone has two, and a car.Big Grin
[Image: Bicycles.jpg]

Concubines quarters in the Forbidden City. Tile detail.
[Image: conc%20court.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

welcome home!
hope you enjoyed your trip and recover soon from your flue (asian flue?? that's no fun.)
looking forward to your pictures!

uli

Beijing doesn't look like a good place for the timid. It must have been quite an experience, especially with getting sick. Not a lot of fun...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I think I caught the bug in Guilin, and it slowly developed while I was in HK.
I went into a photo shop in HK and tried a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. It steamed up, probably as it had been in the window. So they gave it a blast with a rocket blower. I could not get it to focus and also thought it heavy. The guys started trying to sell me some Sigma stuff, so I eventually told them to get lost and came away. I was offered the Canon and a hood for £400 sterling or about 6010 HK dollars.
Good price eh, but not if it was a dodgy one.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Geat to see you back NT... Smile
Hope you get better soon...

I see the pictures of the city, and it looks so similar to Mexico city... I am always amazed to see similarities in countries that are so far one from each other.

That lens you comment is the one I have, and I like it a lot. I think they were giving you good prices, indeed. The problem buying out of your country is that you not always have international warranty. The lens that G bought with his 350 was the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM, it is not an L lens but it is very beautiful, and so versatile. It is also very light. It is 370 euro more or less.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

hongkong prices are hard to beat, they don't have VAT down there. I am going in two weeks, especially and just to buy a laptop. if you were in one of the larger stores, it would have been good material, smaller ones might be dodgy, but Hongkong is generally safe for shopping. Anyway, that's 600 Euro saved there Smile

uli

This was just a camera place in Nathan Road near to Tsim Shat Sui underground, but I just felt they were trying to rip me off. Maybe the lens was a bad copy. Never mind no harm done, as you say 600 Euro's saved. Wink

Lumix LX5.

Well dodged; sorry to hear of your illness;
I take it that the Concubines' Residence pic was taken, er, outside, then..?Cool

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

It is a good travel lens and I am looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Canon stuff.

Thanks all, so far.
Zig..Er yes it was in the courtyard, but I think they have all left. If not I reckon they would be rather old. Big Grin
And I couldn't get rid of my wife. Rolleyes

Re the lens. I was reading an article about shopping in HK, and it said avoid shops in Nathan Road as it is well known for rip offs and scams. i.e. take your money and then offer you something else. So it looks like I was lucky.

Lumix LX5.

how is the flue? Are you all sick? Hope you are getting better!

uli

wulinka Wrote:how is the flue? Are you all sick? Hope you are getting better!

uli
Thanks for your concern.
Yes I am much better than my wife, who is still coughing, but it is slowly going.
At the height of it, I passed out/fainted on the aeroplane between Guilin and HK. Sheila said I went yellow and glassy eyed.
But It did not stop me from sightseeing etc. It just slows you down a little.

Lumix LX5.

ouch, what an adventure...
I'm glad you feel better!

I like your street caputures, verty natural.

Greetings, Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
May 30, 2008, 02:06