Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

18 mega pixels! (do I have your attention now?)

An indoor architectural shot I did for a family friend (upon request by their custom cabinet maker) this morning:

[Image: 9159790-O.jpg]

Nikon D70, AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm: 3 vertical photos stitched side by side @ 24mm (36mm). Manual Exposure: f/22 & 2.5", ISO 200. On tripod. 20x30 printable. (I also shot a dozen frames of velvia 50 speed with my N65...)

-matt-

"It's not what you look at, it's what you see..."
http://www.matthewsaville.com

Good one! Smile

I'm thinking perhaps with less bright light from the outside (maybe shoot later in the evening) you could get a more "golden" glow from the indoor lights and longer exposure?

Yes I am eager to do that "human light vs mother nature's light" contrast, where indoors is golden red and outdoors is cold blue. Simple shots like those have always inspired me...

-matt-

Nice shot, I have been looking at buying one of those exact cameras, is the D70 your only camera? could you show me some more of the ones you have taken with the D70?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I'm sorry Matty but the dark spot was just begging me to lighten it up. I love what you have done and I can't see the stitching on that size image at all. How did you stitch it?

[Image: lettherebelight.jpg]

btw from an aesthetic and natural point of view I like yours but from a commercial point you'd have to have the whole subject lit up.

Nice mod Studio J and I fully agree with your post =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Wow Jamie, I should do that to the original photo before I give it to them. I didn't notice how much the cabinets needed to be illuminated. Thanks for the hint.

As far as the stitching goes, I'm just really careful with my tripod manipulations, and it ends up lining up very well, so I just take the middle image and expand either side, add the two on either side as different layers, and use distort and perspective to match them the rest of the way. Then I "seal" them together by erasing from whichever layer is above to the layer below, and it's pretty much seamless. There are a few flaws in perspective, but they'd be almost as bad if I were truly shooting with a 15mm, anyways.

Here's a 100% crop at probably the worst spot in the whole image. And if I had taken the time to fix those diagonal tiles with cloning or smudging, it would still be perfect. Panorama programs ar for sissies! Tongue

[Image: 9199552-O.jpg]

As far as the D70 goes, Dewy, are you actually in the market? I'm actually looking to sell mine. It's an awesome camera, and you can see some of the photos here:

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/Portfolio (All the images that say they're printable larger than 8x10 are all taken with the D70. I've printed up to 20x30, and they're gosh darn good! 13x19 will maintain quality, but with the proper software you can go pretty big. As long as you look at it from across the room lol...)

...and here's a full frame RAW -> JPG straight upload of a night shot I did a few weeks ago:

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/photos/8175502-O.jpg

No, the D70 is not my only camera, I've owned other film and digital cameras; currently the only other camera at my disposal however is an N65. But I must say, it's an awesome camera. Oh I already said that. The only things I'll bother telling you are the two most important: user friendlyness and print enlargability. The camera is incredibly easy to use, if you know your white balance and exposure, and if you use a tripod, you're easily looking at 12x18 prints, with as much detail as 35mm film, possibly. I'd highly reccomend the camera. Mine has a 4 gig microdrive and two extra batteries, so if you're interested, I'll drop you a line when it goes up on ebay...

Cheers all!

-matt-

Did you take that panormamix Sail away with me shot with it? I don't think I would afford your after conversion to aussies currency and the addition things you have (alstho I'd prolly buy them later down th track) and I don't have the money for it at the moment butI have been looking for a camera to give me a rought idea of what I have to aim at with my savings and the price will most probably (and hopefully) drop by the time I have the money and the way it is going I oculd pick up the D100 for that price when i get the money =(. Can i ask why you are selling yours?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Sorry about 2 posts but what were you after for it? just an approximate? Does it have ny lenses?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by bcheary
Mar 27, 2015, 22:31
Last Post by shuttertalk