Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hike to Garibaldi Lake

Toad and I went on a hike to Garibaldi Lake near Squamish B.C. on Monday. 6kms of switchbacks straight up. The total amount of hiking return was around 28-30 kms. Today I can hardly walk as my butt and calves are as stiff as (insert 4 letter word here). It was absolutely beautiful. Here is a photo of Garibaldi Lake at the 12 km mark.
[Image: Garibaldi-Lake.jpg]
The water was blue and like a sheet of glass. I could type so many words to describe how things looked but words just cannot describe. More photos to come and I'm sure Toad will have some exceptional shots to share after developing.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Toad and I went on a hike to Garibaldi Lake near Squamish B.C. on Monday. 6kms of switchbacks straight up. The total amount of hiking return was around 28-30 kms. Today I can hardly walk as my butt and calves are as stiff as (insert 4 letter word here). It was absolutely beautiful. Here is a photo of Garibaldi Lake at the 12 km mark.
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...i-Lake.jpg
The water was blue and like a sheet of glass. I could type so many words to describe how things looked but words just cannot describe. More photos to come and I'm sure Toad will have some exceptional shots to share after developing.

That is FABULOUS and well worth the effort and pain!

That's a long hike Smile

Polly

Now that is what I call a Picture Perfect scene =) beautiful =)

what size is the original?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Wow! Beautiful day too. Very nice capture!

Pretty!

Let me know if you are interested in doing it again. I'd come over and make a day out of it from Victoria.

Jerry.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Great shot, Colin! I will be happy if any of mine are that good.

I am interested in doing it again as soon as I grow new feet. You are welcome to come, Jerry. We talked about the Lions - also spectacular and not quite as much walking. By the time I reached the 20 km mark (at least 12 km of steep switchbacks - and going down is almost as hard as up), I didn't have the strength left to raise my F100 - so I switched to my S40. We saw a magnificent sunset on the way home and neither of us had the energy left to stop the car and take the photo.

Having said that, it was a great hike and well worth the effort.

Despite the exhaustion factor, next time I am dragging a tripod along for sure. ISO 50 is pretty unforgiving in the trees - and I like to use a polarizing filter most of the time and use very long ecposures to super-saturate the color. I regretted not having brought a tripod with me.

I will just have to get rid of the food and clothing in my pack to make room. Big Grin

Thank you for the replies freinds.
Jerry, It may not be until next summer that I do another hike like this as October marks the end of the season for this particular hike. Toad and I do plan on something a little more local such as the North Shore Mountains after a light sprinkle of snow. If that is something that interrests you them we'd be more than happy to have you along.

Here is the exif on the image.

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Date/Time: 2004:10:04 11:30:09
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Exposure mode: Manual
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
ISO: 100
Lens: 35.0 to 105.0 mm
Focal length: 38.0mm
AF mode: AI Focus AF
Image size: 3072 x 2048
White balance: Auto
Color space: sRGB

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Colin/Toad,

I'd love to join you for whatever you have in mind. I'll be doing some hiking in Strathcona park shortly, but am ready and willing to make the ferry excursion over to do field trips on the North Shore/Squamish area.

I'll be in touch with my phone number. email me yours if possible. Toad I have yours but email it again to confirm.

jtomljenovic@shaw.ca thanks guys. Am looking forward to october colors and november dustingts!

Jerry

Photos like that make me want to retire in canada! well done!

jericho Wrote:Let me know if you are interested in doing it again. I'd come over and make a day out of it from Victoria.

Jerry.

I'd join y'all as well (just out in Pitt Meadows) but the hike would probably kill me (not that I'm out of shape... "round" is a shape...)

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

If anyone in the area is into something a little flatter sometime, might I suggest Pitt Lake - lots of water, mountains, etc., but no climbing required to get the view Smile (I'll post some pics later when I'm back on my own machine...)

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

Sounds good - if it ever stops raining again....and you could not be much less in shape than me - and I survived Garibaldi Lake (even though Petrographer was writing me off at the 3-4 km mark).

Soundy... send me your contact info at jtomljenovic@shaw.ca We can arrange a few outings either here or over there.

Ahhh photography, what a good excuse to go hiking.

Love the picture! You need to get some teddy bears to put into that picture and sell them as postcards, oh wait, think someone already did that!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by czkid
Feb 13, 2015, 05:42
Last Post by vlad
Apr 19, 2013, 12:11