Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Seasonal Monos in Malmesbury

Every week, my loved one and I walk around Malmesbury, an historic town about 18 miles from me. Among other things it has an abbey which is itself a wonderful record of architecture from Saxon times onwards.
Last week's jaunt was a chilly one but with bright sunlight, so I put my "black and white head" on and decided to go mono.
These are with the trusty 1Ds Mk2(I gave the 350D away)...and am I glad I got this instead of the 5D2 to be honest. I find it very "filmlike" and just love the grittiness of high ISO.
I slapped on a polariser, turned it for maximum "quack" and shot handheld.
To hang onto detail/range I shot in raw, converting at very low contrast to colour tiff(just to get a flavour of what mono filtration I needed, funnily enough...humour me, I still think in emulsion), then boosting saturation. I boosted blues a tad more, then going to mono for a orangey-red mono filtration feel. I added a bit of diffuse glow and dodged highlights where necessary.
There are several more on my PBase gallery if anyone fancies a look(link in my sig).
I used the 16-35 f2.8L Mk2 throughout.

[Image: ZO0G0031_1ST.jpg]

[Image: ZO0G0025_1ST.jpg]

[Image: ZO0G0010_1ST.jpg]

[Image: 11frosty_ST.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Well, I think they're bloody ace anyway.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Apologies for no responses, Zig. My attendance on this forum has been extremely spotty lately, and this is the first time that I have seen this thread. All of these images are excellent, and #1 and #2 strike me as quite extraordinary - excellent light, composition and processing. Are these infrared shots or have you processed them to appear that way?

These are beautiful scenics.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Hey Zig - awesome work mate. They all call to me. The first and the last are my favourites of the 4.

Canon stuff.

Thought I had already commented on these, I love 3 and 4... 3 I think is my pick of the litter.

Just surface from a bad bout of influenza or nasty cold??, and really I don't care too much for B&W.
#1, 2 & 4, come over akin to negatives. #3 is more to my taste if any. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Aug 5, 2010, 10:43
Last Post by Irma
Dec 7, 2009, 00:36